siamese algae eaters ok for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am putting this in the planted forum because my questions involve plant related issues.

Thanks to Rivercats I have the know how to get rid of what I have recently learned to be black beard algae. I have read a lot of negative stories about using hydrogen peroxide though so I am using it very carefully. I have read that siamese algae eaters will help go off on this type of algae. My question is exactly how much liquid carbon i.e. api co2 booster is maximum safe dosage and when is the best time to dose i.e. right after the lights go out or morning hours before lights come on?

I have rcs and loaches so I have learned I need to be very careful with liquid carbon dosing and hydrogen peroxide, so with that being said, given my stock listed below, can I also have some siamese algae eaters? I mean would my loaches and otocinclus be ok with them?

10 neon tetras
4 guppies
4 otocinclus
3 red wag platies
3 angelicus botia loaches
1 dwarf gourami
I also have many rcs, but i have lots of java moss and other plants and driftwood for them to hide. My loaches go right up to them and almost looks as if they sniff the rcs and keep going so no problems for my shrimp from my loaches so far.

so, can i get some siamese algae eaters? 60 gallon tank 48"x13"x24". ac110, ac70 both filled with purigen. tank is planted with driftwood.

Well I have yo-yo loaches and over 20 Oto's in my 220g and was using 9 ounces of Glut/liquid carbon daily and it didn't affect anyone. I also kept Ghost shrimp and again no problem. That dose was about 1ml per .75 gallon due to my very high lighting and massive amount of plants. Dosing at 1ml per 5 gallons is fine even for shrimp. It's best to dose it before or right after lights turn on as it only stays in solution 12-24 hours.

As for SAE's. They tend to eat algae more when young but if they get enough processed food they eat it over algae so they have to be kept hungry. Also they tend to get aggressive with age, not always but often enough for it to be a concern. And remember their adult size. Maybe look into Amano shrimp and see if they pick at it? The best thing is just find where your problem is at and correct it else it will just keep coming back.

Oh I've also used over 5ml of peroxide per 10g of water safely.

Well I have yo-yo loaches and over 20 Oto's in my 220g and was using 9 ounces of Glut/liquid carbon daily and it didn't affect anyone. I also kept Ghost shrimp and again no problem. That dose was about 1ml per .75 gallon due to my very high lighting and massive amount of plants. Dosing at 1ml per 5 gallons is fine even for shrimp. It's best to dose it before or right after lights turn on as it only stays in solution 12-24 hours.

As for SAE's. They tend to eat algae more when young but if they get enough processed food they eat it over algae so they have to be kept hungry. Also they tend to get aggressive with age, not always but often enough for it to be a concern. And remember their adult size. Maybe look into Amano shrimp and see if they pick at it? The best thing is just find where your problem is at and correct it else it will just keep coming back.

Oh I've also used over 5ml of peroxide per 10g of water safely.

sounds good. And I think the problem was I was not dosing enough co2 booster previously. Since i started dosing daily the algae has not spread and on a rock has actually dissipated. still have some bba on some anubia leaves and some gba on some driftwood, but none of that is growing. I just gotta kill what is there and I believe it will stay in check. remains to be seen. gonna try the peroxide method during tomorrow's 50% pwc.

Back
Top Bottom