Sieryu rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anna55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve been getting ready to set up my old 29 gallon for a South American cichlid tank. I have the substrate and have plants coming in today. I bought some Sieryu rocks for it that I thought would be ok but now I saw somewhere online that they will raise the ph . My tap water has a ph of 8, gh is 0or 1 and kh is 9. I’m also adding a nice piece of Malaysian driftwood to it. Can someone tell me if I would be able to use these rocks or would I have to get some other ones? I’m really hoping to be able to use them as I’ve already bought them and their really quite nice.

They will be fine in your water. You will need to gH boost.

CaSO4 - Target 30 ppm Ca
MgSO4 - Target 10 ppm Mg

Dying fish

My 29 gallon has been cycled and doing great until I added 6 rummynose tetras a few days ago. One of them died that evening and the rest died one at a time the next day. Now the other fish that have been in the tank for a month are also dying . There is nothing visibly wrong with them. I’ve checked all the parameters of the tank and everything is fine. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5. Everything was going well until I added the rummynose. I’ve lost 6 pencilfish , 1 blue ram and the other ram isn’t doing very well. The only fish that it hasn’t seemed to affect are the ottos and dwarf gourami. Can anyone tell me what this might be and what I can do ?

Maybe your water chemistry is dramatically different from your fish vendor's. If you are altering your water parameters, stop doing so, then restock. Make a large 50% WC before adding any new fish. Note: the German Blue Rams need an elevated temp. of about 82 degrees in order to stay healthy. Hope things get better soon.

I don’t think it’s the water chemistry because one of my ottos came from the same place and they are fine. I also have some cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp in another tank from the same place. I don’t alter my water parameters and I keep up with water changes. I just find it odd that it all happened so fast. The rams and pencilfish were actually ordered from Aquatic Arts and they were all doing great until just this week. Thank you for your response, I appreciate the concern.

Back
Top Bottom