Simple CO2 System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithpants94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 50 gallon tank that I've been having algae problems with. I have finally figured out that my lights are too strong to not have a CO2 system.

I'm looking for something simple that'll get the job done. This is my first system so I'm looking for all the help I can get.

I like the idea of using a paintball canister as the source. I just need help with everything else haha.

I know I need a diffuser, regulator and bubble counter... but I'm not sure on what the all do and what they really are...

Thanks in advance, fishtank people!

Have a 50 gallon tank that I've been having algae problems with. I have finally figured out that my lights are too strong to not have a CO2 system.

I'm looking for something simple that'll get the job done. This is my first system so I'm looking for all the help I can get.

I like the idea of using a paintball canister as the source. I just need help with everything else haha.

I know I need a diffuser, regulator and bubble counter... but I'm not sure on what the all do and what they really are...

Thanks in advance, fishtank people!

Are you dosing Excel? Because that's the easier route and its effective. How long do you have your lights on? I'd cut them back to six hours. Also, can you post a pic of your tank? If you don't have enough fast growing plants that will welcome algae as well

Thanks for getting back so fast!

I haven't been dosing anything at all because I was looking for the problem first.. Sunday I switched the lights to 6 hours a day.. I don't have a picture of the tank and won't until the weekend because I live on campus and won't be home until the weekend.

I was thinking co2 system because around here Excel is not so cheap.. I want a long term system. Co2 is about $4 for 24oz here.

Have you thought about going all out with your co2? It is more up front no doubt, cost me somewhere around $200 for a Milwaukee regulator ( comes with the co2 safe tubing and bubble counter) and a 10lb co2 tank from my local welding shop, but after that cost is minimal. The tank I have now is just starting to run out, but it lasted me a year on my 55g and will cost $14 to refill. Plus it's a year of set-it-and-forget-it which is always a nice bonus

Blueberry- That is more along what I'm looking at. You said it- "set it and forget it". I don't know about $200 but..... something like what you're talking about.

Hey, I'll piggyback on this thread, I'm also looking to set up CO2 system on my high light (BML) planted 55g, I'm using excel now but want to also keep vals, it's expensive over long run and I don't like idea of dumping too many chems into the water... Anyone have experience with this system from Dr Foster and Smith? Looks like the drop checker is bad, hard to replace with better one? Anyone have preferred "off the shelf" kits? Thanks!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+9935&pcatid=9935

I believe it's a Milwaukee MA957 regulator. Should be able to find it online somewhere for under $100. Then call your local welding supply shop and look into a CO2 tank. I had to buy my tank filled ($90), and when it empties, I can either swap it for the same size or they will tag it and get it back to me in a couple days filled. Depending on your filtration there are different ways to diffuse it. I started with the end of the tubing stuck into the filter intake, but the constant chatter of the bubbles hitting the impeller drove me nuts, so I got an inline diffuser on eBay for $20 or so and spliced that in the output hose instead.

From what I've noticed, but these would still require a co2 canister.. be it a paintball canister or a full fledged co2 tank.

I see you... Is there any adapter I could use to allow it to be used with a smaller canister? I'm just concerned about the amount of space I may not have.

I called a local welding supply store, they said the hook up on that F&S kit was standard size, could accommodate tank as small as 5lb... That small enough for you?

Think I might go for this kit, reviews say the bubble counter is no good, am wondering how hard that would be to replace

I think 5lbs is definitely doable for me.. I'm sorry, I was just thinking of the size tanks I see in the welding shop..

So the adapter is good but the bubble counter is not so great... hmmm, that is a question to be found out.

thanks for letting me piggy back on your thread! am having same problem! these guys also seem to have a good rep, they use paintball canisters, anyone have any experience with these guys? seems they have an "off the shelf" kit...

CO2 REGULATOR SOLENOID

Back
Top Bottom