Since adding driftwood and dirt Water stays tea colored

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman60

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added two pieces of driftwood to my 15g tall tank over a month ago since then I've added aquatic topsoil and I use excel and API CO2 every other day. I have a led plant light and I've also added 2 Cfl bulbs 15w each all the fish are doing great I took a pleco from one of my other tanks and added him to the mix for awhile I also have 2 nitrate snails and 1 Otto to help keep the tank clean.
I have a HOB filter and a MarineLand C160 filtering my way water and an adjustable power head to help circulate the water, I do weekly 50% water changes adding stress coat, prime and API PH 7.0 so what am I doing wrong that my water is staying a tea color no matter what I do ?Image1481213186.835595.jpg

It sounds like natural Tannins. Which explains the water color. I think Tannins even lower pH slowly over time. I think ottos prefer groups as well. I would go with a school of pygmy corys. They stay pretty small and they school well and always kept my substrate clean.

I think the color is leaching from the driftwood.

While not "pretty" it isn't per se harmful except if it affects ph too much, from my newbie level of understanding.

You're right mddad. If you're keeping african cichlids or something that needs higher pH then they will die. It helps my water a lot due to the fact that I have a constant 7.8 pH from our tap water so it does help!

I ordered the topsoil from home depot as it is used in ponds and I have carbon in the HOb filter and also the MarineLand C160 I know that the driftwood leeches color and also I've read where a dirty Aquarium also will tint the water for awhile as my 10g tank is also tea colored and has no driftwood but has the aquatic topsoil also all my levels are great and PH is 6.9

I have 3 dwarf guaroumis also 6 blood fin tetras with 4 cardinal tetras as well I may try some pigmy Cory's I'm sure I'll have to order those from LPS thanks guys I was pretty sure what was causing the tea color and
Do you think in a couple of months the color will clear

Aqua lady I use carbon in the MarineLand C 160 and the HOb filter also

It will fade over time. If u want to get rid of it straight away u will need to remove it from the tank and boil it for about an hour and a half.

If u don't have a pot big enough u can put it through the dishwasher on the highest heat setting and longest duration. (Make sure u don't have any rinse aid in there)

I soaked my wood for a month and dried it for 2 weeks in the sun and I still get abit of leech in my 125g. The pieces were too big to boil.

Think I'll just let it take its course it's not really hurting anything but as I've said my ten gallon is doing the same thing with no driftwood just made it a dirty tank about 2wks ago also

The simple answer to the tannins in your water is to use purigen. Its rechargable unlike carbon and is more popular in the planted tank community for that reason.

Just ordered 500mg of Seachem Purigen thanks guys and Mebbid I'd never heard of using this instead of carbon big thank you

Purigen is very effective in clearing tannins. I used a 100 mL bag in my 20g (several pieces of Malaysian DW) and it was during water changes in a white bucket is where I really see how clear the water was. It became exhausted after a few months and I was not able to successfully recharge it (stayed brown and got real smelly). Otherwise, good product.

Dosage if I'm right for the Seachem Purgean for the 15g would be a little over a Half tablespoon and for the 10g would be around a Quarter Tablespoon Right or Wrong Also what is a good media device to put the Purgean into Thanks Mike

If you bought the big container of purigen, the best bag ive ever found for them on the vheap would be fine mesh brewing bags for brewing alcohol. I bought a large bag for about $3 and made about 6 smaller bags using scissors and hot glue.

Bert2oo1 is correct.
I have driftwood in my tank for months now and still get the tee colour. You never really get it out of the wood.
I have boiled my wood for a few weeks every single day over and over. By boiling your wood in boiling water and even scrubbing it, does help the colour to fade but won't stop colouring your water, it will only take longer to colour it though.

Also do keep in mind most fish from the Amazon or most rivers do live in heavy tea colour water due to the wood, so they love the colour the wood creates.

So - purigen question - does it harm the beneficial bacteria by removing nitrites? I don't want to crash the bacteria population, then have the purigen lose it's "oomph", then a lack of bacteria cause the nitrites to spike?

Also - does it reduce nitrAtes to the point of harming plant growth?

Back
Top Bottom