Since adding driftwood and dirt Water stays tea colored

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Purigen does not negatively affect your beneficial bacteria, and you never want detectable levels of nitrites to begin with.

My plants utilize all of my nitrates in the big tank anyway, so I can't speak to that.

So - purigen question - does it harm the beneficial bacteria by removing nitrites? I don't want to crash the bacteria population, then have the purigen lose it's "oomph", then a lack of bacteria cause the nitrites to spike?

Also - does it reduce nitrAtes to the point of harming plant growth?

Purigen's job is primarily to polish water, even then it's mostly used for reduction of discoloring elements in water. The control of nitrogen is vastly overstated, something you will learn many aquarium companies do.

It won't harm anything as far as beneficial bacteria goes, in fact I would be surprised if you saw any difference at all in your nitrates when you begin using it.

How long does it take for the Purigen to work I put 2 bags about 2 tablespoons I'm the 15g tall one in the HOB and one in the MarineLand c160 canister I put about a tablespoon into the HOB on the 10g as it seems to be clearing more so than the 15g the Purigen has been in both tanks for about 4 days now

Back
Top Bottom