Sk3llys ADA 60P Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello guys
Some of you know that in September i will be tearing down my current tank to do an ADA build.

I know its a long way off but im hoping to canvass opinions and advice to make this tank as good as i can possibly make it.

When i get home from work today i will be putting together a rough plan and an 'artists impression' of what my tank might look like. I will try to get my ideas out of my head and onto paper. Might be tricky lol!!

Stay tuned...

Niiice! You know I'm subbing to this :) can't wait to see what ideas you have for this build.

Dude September is so far away. ...July is way better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is a very rough top view plan of the tank...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403523099.808027.jpg

This tank will be dutch style with thick bushy plant groupings all together.

I will be using plants from the asian regions as i love the leaf structures. I have labelled the colour the plants should take on (hopefully).

I know its hard to envisage but i will produce a face on image of what i am imagining later.

Any comments welcome. Thanks

Wow... I didn't know all those plants came from Asian regions. Are there any carpeting plants from Asia? Not too sure if downoi makes a good foreground.. it's more like midground for me. There's also Rotala Vietnam or Limnophila Aromatica.

Oh and Blyxa gets huge and bushy! But I suppose it's manageable if you uproot it and replant the baby side shoots.

Last edited:
Wow... I didn't know all those plants came from Asian regions. Are there any carpeting plants from Asia? Not too sure if downoi makes a good foreground.. it's more like midground for me. There's also Rotala Vietnam or Limnophila Aromatica.

Oh and Blyxa gets huge and bushy! But I suppose it's manageable if you uproot it and replant the baby side shoots.

As far as i know they come from Asia yes. Ive done a bit of research on it.

The downoi was a last resort. I tried to find a proper carpeting asian plant but couldnt find anything other than one of the marsilea variants. One that actually stays four leaved. Not sure how well the leaf structures would compliment though between marsilea and downoi in behind. Do the hydrocotle's carpet?

I was under the impression blyxa was a midground and could be kept short as its stem. I have no experience with it though. I just thought the contrast in leaf structure might work??

How do you think the possible colour combinations in the back would work?? Too much??

Yeah I would also be worried about the blyxa. Otherwise this sounds like a great build.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hydocotyle sp. Japan can be used as a carpet. It will take a good amount of work to tame it.. basically trim it down a lot and push down to the substrate. Otherwise it gets a bit unruly. It's a super fast grower too. One of the fastest I've seen. But if you Google image "hydrocotyle sp. Japan carpet" you'll see some good examples.. it might look good with a backdrop of downoi.

Another option from Asia is Elatine Hydropiper. I haven't tried this plant, but it looks nice.

Blyxa has a nice contrasting leaf structure to your other plants.. you'll just have to try to keep it small with the layout you presented. If left alone, it gets quite large, round, and bushy.

Hydocotyle sp. Japan can be used as a carpet. It will take a good amount of work to tame it.. basically trim it down a lot and push down to the substrate. Otherwise it gets a bit unruly. It's a super fast grower too. One of the fastest I've seen. But if you Google image "hydrocotyle sp. Japan carpet" you'll see some good examples.. it might look good with a backdrop of downoi.

Another option from Asia is Elatine Hydropiper. I haven't tried this plant, but it looks nice.

Blyxa has a nice contrasting leaf structure to your other plants.. you'll just have to try to keep it small with the layout you presented. If left alone, it gets quite large, round, and bushy.

The elatine hydropiper is like glosso??

I like the look of the hydrocotle carpet actually. Im going to use dividers between sand layer and amazonian soil. Will also use them around any carpeting plants. Hydrocotyle might be an alteration

Right took the day off work to prepare my current tank ready for a delivery of plants to go in the new planned setup in september. Need to see if i can get them to colour up.
Pogo stellata
Rotala wallichi
Limnophila aquatica

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You are one crazy dude :)

BTW, what stand are you going to use for the 60P?

I was probably just going to use the chest of draws my tank is currently on. Ive got such a small room and i need the storage space of the draws

Hey boss..just going to stay in today to work on the tanks... haha I wish.. are you going to mow down some of that DHG to make room? Fry tank as plant grow out?

Hey boss..just going to stay in today to work on the tanks... haha I wish.. are you going to mow down some of that DHG to make room? Fry tank as plant grow out?

I ripped up a square mat of the stuff. Maybe 6"x 8". It was like a sheet of turf!

Was it really difficult to remove? For sale haha?

Right guys, compromise with my gf has been made :) we have shaken hands on a deal...

I have to take her swimming with dolphins whilst on holiday in Jamaica, buy her a lilo for the pool and buy a pandora bracelet charm, all in exchange for the promise of no moaning about me buying the gear or the aggro in setting it up.

Happy days lol. The build is a goer :)

Back
Top Bottom