Sk3lly's Tank Progression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my phosphate readings heres a chart for the last month of my results. You can defo see where i switched from liquid to dry ferts lol
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396026194.659565.jpg

Interesting.. Thanks!! That does look like gda, I have it going on right now too, I've he'd off in dosing phosphates until my test kit arrives, today actually:) I've heard that a phosphate level of 3ppm+ should nip it in the bud..

My phosphate reading is at 10ppm. Thats the highest the test will test for. Hell it might even be higher for all i know lol

My phosphate reading is at 10ppm. Thats the highest the test will test for. Hell it might even be higher for all i know lol
i think the target is 3-4, 10 could be problematic, than again I'm a total plant noob..

Yea i figure its too high. But in a macro bottle is the phosphate as well as potassium sources. My plants are showing signs of low potassium, yet my phosphates are far too high. Dont know how to resolve it

Hello guys after a bit of advice. I got my dry ferts about 2 weeks ago. I am trying to find a balance in my pps pro method. I use a 3rd dosing bottle for the nitrates.

First week i dosed as prescribed including the nitrates.

I do a full set of tests before my weekly water change on a sunday to assess my water and make sure its ok. That first sunday after my week of dosing my nitrates were very high. About 50-60ppm. I have german rams so want this lower. I also recorded very high phosphates like 10ppm

So second week i cut out the nitrate dosing for 2 of the 3 days and trimmed my macro dose to 15ml from 20ml for all 3 days. I left micro dosing at the same level. 20ml as per companies instructions.

Ive been getting some signs of nutrient deficiencies and algae issues
View attachment 230539
View attachment 230540
View attachment 230541

Now i think its green dust algae but would be nice to be certain??

I ran a phosphate test and nitrate test these were my results

View attachment 230542
Lowish nitrates but roughly where i want to be. Phosphates i think should be nearer 3ppm with that amount of nitrate?? (Correct if wrong please) my phosphates seem to be at 10ppm though.
As for the deficiency it looks to be potassium as leaves have holes in. How do i fix that if i need to lower my macro mix in order to bring phosphates down to solve algae issue???

This has already become a waffle but i still got more lol

My fear here is that perhaps my lighting is not good enough and therefore my plants are not using the nutrients fast enough leading to algae. Thoughts???

I have managed to carpet DHG pretty successfully though and grow fissedens moss which i also think is higher light.

Can anybody shed some light please?? Thanks in advance and thanks for reading

Yes i think i mentioned the relevant details. Need any more and i'd be happy to help. Although i am about to go out for an evenings drinking lol

Yes i think i mentioned the relevant details. Need any more and i'd be happy to help. Although i am about to go out for an evenings drinking lol
thread closed! For the night anyways;) what phosphates?!? I drank them allllllll!!!

No i will still reply throughout various times in the night. Just wont be able to provide further more in depth details

I get the dry ferts each macro separete, thats the source of the confusion. That way you can tweak each one to your tank. But I get them locally from a bulk distributer, not any common brand name.

Sk3lly,
With the K mixed in with the PO4 and you need to lower PO4 dosing without starving plants of K Do this. Lower your dose of K & PO4 to get PO4 down to 2-3 ppm. To make up for the K that you need, put some of your K only dry in a medicine or small bottle. Dose 1/8 tsp of straight dry K for every 20g into the water right after your weekly WC. It's kind of an EI dose thrown into your PPS method. Also note that GDA can result from higher light with not enough carbon also. Hope this helps. Kudos to Rivercats for telling me about the dry dosing of the K. OS.

Sk3lly,
With the K mixed in with the PO4 and you need to lower PO4 dosing without starving plants of K Do this. Lower your dose of K & PO4 to get PO4 down to 2-3 ppm. To make up for the K that you need, put some of your K only dry in a medicine or small bottle. Dose 1/8 tsp of straight dry K for every 20g into the water right after your weekly WC. It's kind of an EI dose thrown into your PPS method. Also note that GDA can result from higher light with not enough carbon also. Hope this helps. Kudos to Rivercats for telling me about the dry dosing of the K. OS.

Thank you for this Old Scales!
My co2 comes on 2 hours before lights on. At around an hour into photoperiod my drop checker is a real lime green. Co2 goes off 2 hours before end of photoperiod. Drop checker remains lime green throughout the remaining photoperiod.

What is the correct ratio of nitrate to phosphate?

Oh Gosh! I wish I knew for sure. Most of the gurus state 10:1 NO3 to PO4. I try and keep my NO3 above 10 but below 30 and PO4 between 1 and 3. Also I found no benefit to dosing traces more than the 1 ml per 10g amount.(PPS-Pro method) OS.

Oh Gosh! I wish I knew for sure. Most of the gurus state 10:1 NO3 to PO4. I try and keep my NO3 above 10 but below 30 and PO4 between 1 and 3. Also I found no benefit to dosing traces more than the 1 ml per 10g amount.(PPS-Pro method) OS.

I dont think anything in fishkeeping is an exact science. So many variables between each tank. Least ive got a guideline to shoot for. Thankyou

If you saw my gH levels you'd understand why this has to be done. I had to use 15 drops on the api test to get the vial to change colour

Back
Top Bottom