Skelton plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi can anyone give me some advise on my plants. I have a medium planted tank with sand substrate. I have 1 DIY CO2 defusing in it and at night I have oxygen going in. At the moment I am finding that my plants are turning to skeletons. Can I be advised as to why. I was using fertiliser but gave up with it.

Not sure what the rating is but they are about a year old.

the spectrum is important. what color light are they giving off, is it a bright white or a yellowish color?

I've never spent much time with the pinkish plant grow bulbs just because i don't like the way they look, but i definitely recommend going with ~6500k 'daylight' type bulbs to replace the ones in the fixture, if you don't end up just going with a better fixture (t5/t5ho)

I was using fertiliser but gave up with it.

This could be a big part of the problem, also DIY co2 isn't feasible on a tank that large it just doesn't keep the co2 at the ideal 30ppm, so a pressurized system would be better.
Just saying they are turning to skeletons isn't enough info to really be able to help you, how do they look now? Are the leaves at the bottom dying off? Are holes forming in the leaves? Any white or yellow coloration in new or old leaves? If I had to guess right now, I would say it is a combo of not enough light and a lack of co2 and ferts, just based on the lack of info.

Back
Top Bottom