Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I finally added the last two rams from my QT into my 75gal planted tank. Other 2 gbr I had finally came out of hiding but now my discus seem all skittish, at time look like they're frantically swimming even though the gbr don't disturb them. What should I do?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water parameters are as follows,
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0>5
Nitrite 0
Temp 83

I do a 25% wc every 3rd day. Black neon tetras and my gbr all look nice and healthy they're all eating well. Or is it that my discus need to get used to these new fish?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

They just need to get used to yet more newcomers. Once they see they aren't in any danger from them they will settle down again.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats
They just need to get used to yet more newcomers. Once they see they aren't in any danger from them they will settle down again.
Ah ok. It's my first time handling Discus and well they get a bad wrap for being delicate fish. Shofar I've had then for 1 week today
Saving up to get us an RO unit, that way I can leave to work an go to sleep with way much less worry. Thank you Rivercats!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Stability for discus is the most important thing and the more water changes the happier they are. They will settle down after a few more days. If they seem stressed, do extra water changes, it always helped mine. Imo you don't need RO For discus, unless your water supply is not consistent and stable. I kept them very happily for years in hard water and they grew very large. Good luck! And best wishes for your fishes
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl65
Stability for discus is the most important thing and the more water changes the happier they are. They will settle down after a few more days. If they seem stressed, do extra water changes, it always helped mine. Imo you don't need RO For discus, unless your water supply is not consistent and stable. I kept them very happily for years in hard water and they grew very large. Good luck! And best wishes for your fishes
I've been doing water changes every 3rd day, keeping it stable. The only instability is the temp which gradually fluctuates between 82-84 degrees, but I've added a second heater to keep it a bit more stable. Thank you happygirl65

Tags
discus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com