Slight algea problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankbnj84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So just as the title says I'm having an algea problem. Description of my tank is as follows:

Size: 45g

Lighting: 36inch Planted+ 24/7 running full brightness back of tank and 24inch Satellite plus pro on the front of tank. Light to substrate is 20-21 inches. Lights are on 8 hours

Filtration: Marineland canister C-360; also 1* Hydor Koralia nano 425gph powerhead

Substrate: Caribsea Floramax

Co2: drop checker in the green; used with inline reactor

Fish: 2 angels; 2 swordtail; 2 mollies;* 3 danios; 10 neon tetra; 3-5 nerites; 5-8 amanos

Plants: I will post the picture I can't remember everything I have

Ferts: API root tabs and EI dosing for 40-60g. Also dose 10mL Flourish excel same day as micros.

Also do 50% WC every week.

So that's that. I recently rescaled and put in a bunch of plants. My initial thought was too much light but no sure. Also not sure what type of algea is growing. Attached pics below. Any help is appreciated!

ccd42d1e5a4fb2fec40b5bd2196bf0d3.jpg

df084bd277a52da4afb8d0e9d1ae72cf.jpg

0186267b50db98125a24097ed15e31ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Do you know an estimate of what your PAR is? Just by looking, I have a feeling that that is too much light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've got that stuff in my apisto tank. It's subsiding now that I block the sunlight until after my lights come on. Surprisingly enough my apistos eat the stuff

I would guess too much light, but I'm definitely NO expert.
If it were me, I'd probably try to cut it down to only one light. Maybe you could try the Finnex alone and go down to 6hours instead of 8. A lot of people report better results from doing light at intervals...lights on in the morning for a few hours, then off in the afternoon and then on again in the evening.

I would guess too much light, but I'm definitely NO expert.
If it were me, I'd probably try to cut it down to only one light. Maybe you could try the Finnex alone and go down to 6hours instead of 8. A lot of people report better results from doing light at intervals...lights on in the morning for a few hours, then off in the afternoon and then on again in the evening.
I actually have started this. I am using just the finnex 3 hours on 3 hour break then 3 hours on again. I'm Hopi g this will resolve the issue! Its only been a few days and I can't really tell a change but I'm gonna give it a few weeks.

I actually have started this. I am using just the finnex 3 hours on 3 hour break then 3 hours on again. I'm Hopi g this will resolve the issue! Its only been a few days and I can't really tell a change but I'm gonna give it a few weeks.

This should help.
You might try hitting the algae with a shot of hydrogen peroxide or Excel/Glutaraldehyde and see if that kills off any algae. It works with BBA but not sure with green fuzzy algae.

From what I understand this break in your light cycle can be dettremental to plant growth. Loosely explained, the "science" behind it is that the plants go through a process when adjusting to light and dark which burns energy
so 3 hours of light, lights out, and another 3 hours also doesn't mimic the normal light cycle. It's better to adjust your tank to one continuos light/day cycle.

The Algae you have is called Rhizo and it's more common name is "Green Fuzz" it can be caused by low flow, low nutrients, low CO2, and lack of maintance

The latter "low maintanance" can be caused by big gravel/stones/substeven even with regular water changes and cleaning. In my opinion and from looking at your substrate pics, I'd say your substrate and the gaps created by the "large" stones is the source and what sustains this algae.

From what I understand this break in your light cycle can be dettremental to plant growth. Loosely explained, the "science" behind it is that the plants go through a process when adjusting to light and dark which burns energy
so 3 hours of light, lights out, and another 3 hours also doesn't mimic the normal light cycle. It's better to adjust your tank to one continuos light/day cycle.

There is a lengthy discussion of the topic on Tom Barrs site.
One of the cons with doing this is wear and tear of you are using fluorescent lighting.
Based on the closing post in the above link, it sounds like the merit of using the siesta period is still to be determined. IMO if the siesta period allows the lights to be on for fewer hours (leading to less algae) and still lets the owner enjoy more viewing time, then it's a good thing.

The Algae you have is called Rhizo and it's more common name is "Green Fuzz" it can be caused by low flow, low nutrients, low CO2, and lack of maintance

The latter "low maintanance" can be caused by big gravel/stones/substeven even with regular water changes and cleaning. In my opinion and from looking at your substrate pics, I'd say your substrate and the gaps created by the "large" stones is the source and what sustains this algae.
I was thinking of changing the substrate to ADA Amazonia. I've been reading it causes big ammonia spikes initially and I don't have anywhere to put my fish for more then a few hours in buckets. My substrate is caribsea floramax and its pretty bad, my personal opinion.

I am inclined to agree with this. I believe this post is referring to the effect light has on the activation of the RUBISCO enzyme. But I also agree with fresh in the sense that for some people a siesta period fits in with their schedule.

I was thinking of changing the substrate to ADA Amazonia. I've been reading it causes big ammonia spikes initially and I don't have anywhere to put my fish for more then a few hours in buckets. My substrate is caribsea floramax and its pretty bad, my personal opinion.

I used dirt previously and it didn't cause spikes but I'm not confident enough to say it doesn't out right. Personally I'd try a smaller finer gravel or even sand ADA is really exspensive. Try miracle grow organic if you want to go direted for a fraction of the price.

There is a lengthy discussion of the topic on Tom Barrs site.
One of the cons with doing this is wear and tear of you are using fluorescent lighting.
Based on the closing post in the above link, it sounds like the merit of using the siesta period is still to be determined. IMO if the siesta period allows the lights to be on for fewer hours (leading to less algae) and still lets the owner enjoy more viewing time, then it's a good thing.

Whatever works best for the individual tank. But I don't see how a siesta period replicates a plants natural light cycle. My reading and take on it is that it doesn't promote strong growth because of the process plant go through adjusting to light and dark.

Alternatively you could have lights on for a shorter period and then get cosmetic led lights which don't have anything to do with a light cycle.

I used dirt previously and it didn't cause spikes but I'm not confident enough to say it doesn't out right. Personally I'd try a smaller finer gravel or even sand ADA is really exspensive. Try miracle grow organic if you want to go direted for a fraction of the price.

Whatever works best for the individual tank. But I don't see how a siesta period replicates a plants natural light cycle. My reading and take on it is that it doesn't promote strong growth because of the process plant go through adjusting to light and dark.

Alternatively you could have lights on for a shorter period and then get cosmetic led lights which don't have anything to do with a light cycle.

The siesta period does not replicate what is found in nature. Neither does a typical high tech tank: tank flooded with excess nutrients, more CO2 that is found in water or atmospheric levels.
The siesta period simply reduces the light...no light, no algae growth (and no plant growth). The ferts and CO2, depending on their levels, may be masking any harm caused by this.

The siesta period does not replicate what is found in nature. Neither does a typical high tech tank: tank flooded with excess nutrients, more CO2 that is found in water or atmospheric levels.
The siesta period simply reduces the light...no light, no algae growth (and no plant growth). The ferts and CO2, depending on their levels, may be masking any harm caused by this.

I don't disagree with any of the above.

I'd just advocate having a shorter light period and then cosmetic leds or a lightsource that isn't for plant growth and wont induce algae. So instead of a 5 hour light cycle split into 2X2.5 with a break in the middle just a block of 5 hours and then leds.

Perhaps I worded my eariler response wrong.

Back
Top Bottom