Slightly high pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZLogic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my tap water comes straight from the faucet like this:

PH = 7.8
Ammonia = 0.25ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate= 0ppm

I've read that the pH might drop after being dechlorinated and in the tank for a while, is that true? Also i'd hoped to keeping cardnial tetra, honey gourami, bristlenose pleco, and a few zebra loaches. Will this pH be ok for these fish? Would it be ok for low-mid lighting, 2.5wph and no co2? Amazon sword, anubias, java fern for example.

Generally tap water pH does drop a bit ... retest your tap after 24 hrs.

Though some fish you mention do better in lower pH water, the fish you mentioned will adapt fine to your tank's pH, the important thing is to acclimate the fish properly, and maintain a stable pH. The pH should also be fine for the plants and lighting your looking to do.

I have Bloodfin tetras in a pH close to that. They are happy and schooling together

my Tapwater takes bout 2 days to lower to about 7.6-7.8 from 8.8. If you want to be really sure retest your water after 2 days

I agree with jcolon. Most fish can adapt to a range of pHs. Just make sure to acclimate them all properly, and after that stability is the key. In a couple days when you test it again you will get a better idea of what it will be in th tank. If you are not comfortable with the pH, look into natural buffers like limestone, driftwood, and peat moss. Do not use the bottled pH buffers because they cause serious instability.

I tested pH on the water in the bucket my driftwood has been soaking in for 24 hours and got 6.6. Is this just from tannins being leached?

I tested pH on the water in the bucket my driftwood has been soaking in for 24 hours and got 6.6. Is this just from tannins being leached?
Yes. That is probaly what it is from. Driftwood does tend to lower the pH, but not too drastically once it has been soaked and the tanins are gone/minimized.

Back
Top Bottom