Small catfish....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snakeapartment

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. So I've had a 12 gal. Fluval edge (live planted) up and running for almost 2 years. Been very lucky. Haven't lost many fish and the tank has remained amazingly clean and clear. I recently added a small spotted catfish (not sure exact species but I can add a photo if needed) because lady at aquarium store said they are great bottom cleaners. I have noticed a lot of the fuzzy waste at the bottom is gone but the tank has been very murky/particle filled since I got the catfish. I think he's just kicking up a lot of the settlement while scavenging the bottom... Is this normal? Any one else have this issue. I miss the tank being crystal clear....Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Need a photo, corys or otos would be the only suitable species for this tank.. otos preferably..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He's a Cory for sure. Found this pic online but this is it exactly. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419645180.533616.jpg

Probably better to have more than 1 (like 4-6) corys. Otos should be kept in groups too.

I think there are 3 species of dwarf corydoras that could fit in a 12 gallon. C. pygmaeus, hastatus, and habrosus. Hopefully you got one of them and have the space to add a few more. Here's an article on the subject:

The littlest hobos | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

I'm thinking of adding the dainty cory (habrosus) to my planted 10 gallon and have been doing a bit of reading on the subject. I'm not sure they'll clean up the bottom as effectively as you're hoping, but they're really neat fish and fun to watch.

You should take what I say with a huge grain of salt because I haven't owned either corys or otos personally.

Decided to add some photos of the tank. As you can see in last two pics, the plants are covered in waste and the water is filled with small particles... This is brand new for my tank. Wondering if it is coincidental or resulting in my introducing the catfish.

He's a cutie it I may have to donate him to my friends gravel/non live planted tank. :(

FIY Cories are social and typically do best in groups.

From the pic Im guessing the sold you C trilieatus the 3 Lined Cory. I'd think a 22g might be a bit small for him full grown ? They get about 2-2.5".

In my small tanks I prefer pygmy species.

I currently have C habrosus
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419653124.439432.jpg

And C pygmaeus
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419653150.707147.jpg

Both species stay 1" or less. I have has up to 5 habrosus in my 10g with no problems at all.

Cories do eat off the bottom, but they still need their own food. Sinking Shrimp Pellets, frozen Blood Worms or Brine Shrimp, etc...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419653292.985454.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be wrong but maybe the cory is stirring up dust from your substrate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Almost wondering if it is actually diatoms and/or dust algae starting. (Kinda hard to tell with the pics)

What do you have for lights and how long are they on? Might not be it but like I mentioned it is hard to see in the pics really well what it is. If you shake a plant gently does it come off?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you didn't have enough water movement detritus can accumulate on the substrate.

I had my filter off and had some plants die off. I had a layer of stuff on my sand. I got the filter running and moving water and within a day or two my sand is clean.

You can gently swirl a gravel vac above sand or fine substrate to clean it without sucking it out of the tank.

Diatoms are also possible as was mentioned.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom