small confusion re dosing fertz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marchmaxima

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thise who know me will recall my cyano bacteria issue.

Advised solution: Dose nitrAtes. Start with dosing 10ppm each weekly PWC.

I am looking for either assurances that my approach is right or suggestions on adjustments.

I have been dosing nitrates, however being that my tank is 15g, and rather heavily planted, the nitrATE level does get high quite quickly over a week on its own. For example, I do a 30% PWC on Sunday and dose 10ppm nitrate, By the following Saturday my nitrAte level will be quite high (deep red), I'm guessing 50-60ppm or so. It's difficult to tell.

Another weekly PWC the following week will get the nitrate level down a little to around 40ppm-ish. Now if the nitrATE levels are this high, I have to confess, I've not been dosing the 10ppm nitrATE. I'm a little nervous about raising the nitrate level too high.

The only time I've been dosing NitrATE is when the nitrATE level is close to or drops below 20ppm and I dose 10ppm at this time. Is this "common sense" approach right? This has been working out to dosing nitrate fortnightly instead of weekly.

Result: Reduction in cyanobacteria, but not gone completely. BBA has arrived.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Well, the nitrATE dosing was in response to the development of cyanobacteria. Before dosing, my nitrate levels were 10ppm, so there was room for giving it a go. It has worked in the sense that it has stopped the cyano from spreading, however it hasn't eliminated it.

I'd probably try either increasing your dosing or cut the Nitrate dosing to half or less. Since your Nitrates are sitting higher now, the dosing may no longer be necessary. I'd just make sure that they stay above 20ppm where your test will be reading more accurately.

Since the Cyno isn't completely gone, I'd recommend examining where it's still present in the aquarium and determining if you can improve the water flow in those areas.

I doubt I can improve the water flow to the areas with the cyano. It is only now located on the sand that is pitted against the glass at the front of the aquarium. Thre is only a tiny smidge left on the top-most lauyer of sand and I think that is cos I let the Nitrate level drop too far week before last.

I will point my output bar down and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom