Small planted "bowl"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsteridea

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I'm considering a new project. We just got a nice little stand, put it right next to the big tank and it looks a little bare. Definitely needs something green there!

I was thinking about a terrarium of some sort, but now I'm thinking it might be nice to set up a small planted tank there and add a few ghost shrimp.

I do have questions though. And if the answers are strictly "No", I may end up just doing a terrarium in the end anyways.

My questions are... can aquarium plants exist without any mechanical filtration? At best, I would consider a bubbler/airline tubing for oxygen, but I don't want anything bulky as it would be something more refined looking.

I kind of like how the new "betta bowls" (Topfin Modern & Cylinder Glass Bowls) they came out with at Petsmart look, pretty fancy. Although, it's of my current opinion that no betta should go into something so small, some ghost shrimp or small snails would be okay right?

Also, I would really love to see cool examples of planted bowls if you have any!

Thanks in advance!

I have previous experience with a project that you're going to undertake.

I had a 1 gallon bowl with plants and RCS that thrived wonderfully. I did that Walstad method (organic potting soil capped with sand). I had easy plants like Java Moss, a few Crypts and some random stem plants. I had a simple desk lamp, access to window light, and a very small heater. No filter was necessary, i only topped off the water when it got low!

They thrived until I clipped a plant that had grow verrrrry tall out of my tank. I think that the plant may have released poisons into my water after it got cut. Who knows.

Good luck and happy fish keeping.

Hello! First off this is great idea! I myself have been thinking of doing one recently. They have defiantly become more popular just in the past few months. You dont need any filtration at all, the plants are enough. Any bowl that holds water would be fine. Defiantly dont do any fish, but snails and shrimp are fine. For plants I would get some hardy stuff like java fern or something. A nice rock or piece of driftwood in the middle would look nice.

Happy Tankin

Ooo! Thanks! I'm excited now.

Would you guys suggest using sand as a substrate for the plants? I have an amazon sword in my 38g on gravel, but it's in it's pot still. I'm afraid of de-potting it, in fear that it will fail on me! It's growing really well, but I still get nervous.

I would suggest using something like eco complete topped with sand, leaves no room for error :D

monsteridea said:
Ooo! Thanks! I'm excited now.

Would you guys suggest using sand as a substrate for the plants? I have an amazon sword in my 38g on gravel, but it's in it's pot still. I'm afraid of de-potting it, in fear that it will fail on me! It's growing really well, but I still get nervous.

Depends on the plants really. If you aren't going the Walstad method with dirt under the sand, then I would say go a plant dedicated substrate.

You can get away with just sand if you already have it though. Plants that have high demands aren't plants that you wanna put in a little bowl like that. I would get plants like Anubias and Crypts for it.

Thanks everyone! :)

Does the material of the bowl matter? I was planning on buying glass...

But I have a plastic food jar/bucket (with a screw on lid), that may work. I think it's bigger than what I was planning to buy. I just don't know if there are weird issues with plastic?

It says it's a net wt of 4 lbs. Not sure how that weighs out in ounces off the top of my head :/

Last edited:
I don't know, acrylic fish tanks are glass. But I don't know about just like a plastic jar. I would avoid it if I were you. You could fill it up cup by cup then convert to gallons. Or measure it then figure the gallons out.

I think I might search around for glass jars or containers before buying the one at PetSmart. Although those are really cool looking, I'd rather not spend $15-20 for something I could probably get in a bigger size, less fancy, for less money.

That, and getting this paper label off the plastic jar is a real pain in the butt!

Thanks again :)

You can find gallon glass bowls at places like Michaels, Jo-Ann Fabrics, or Pottery Barn for reeeeeally cheap. Pottery Barn is where I got mine and I don't think it was much. Put on top of using the Walstad method, I think the RCS actually ended up being the most expensive part!

Also, try second hand stores. I saw a perfect bowl for this that was 50c. I had to refrain from buying :(

Loddy Dod said:
Also, try second hand stores. I saw a perfect bowl for this that was 50c. I had to refrain from buying :(

Agreed. For what you're trying, any glass fixture that holds water can work really.

They don't carry RCS at PetSmart, so originally was thinking ghost shrimp. How much do the RCS usually run? I may be able to I'd them at another fish store. I do love that color of them. It would be easier to see them too.

Thanks again :)

yep. micheals has some good sized glass bowls. but not sure if most are one gallons. rcs as I know, usu runs around $3 each.

Oh man. I went to Pottery Barn and another place and their stuff is REALLY nice looking, but way more expensive (at least $30-40) then something I could get at a pet store. I want to check out Hobby Lobby but they're closed on Sundays and probably will be closed tomorrow as well.

I'll keep looking. I'm also looking online, but the added shipping price on some things make it even more expensive.

For RCS, check out aquabid, eBay, or even the classifieds section of this forum. Someone may be selling them cheap. There is always your LFS too.

monsteridea said:
Oh man. I went to Pottery Barn and another place and their stuff is REALLY nice looking, but way more expensive (at least $30-40) then something I could get at a pet store. I want to check out Hobby Lobby but they're closed on Sundays and probably will be closed tomorrow as well.

I'll keep looking. I'm also looking online, but the added shipping price on some things make it even more expensive.

Look up Maxwellag for RCS. He sold me for $1 a piece. Came in great and in excellent condition! Highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom