Small spotlight for a high light plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 36G planted community tank with pressurized CO2, EI and a dual bulb T5HO (24 watt each) 20" from the substrate, one of the bulbs being rosette. One of my high light plants is being shaded too much by my floating plants, which removing them is out of the question. Is there a small, suction cup type spotlight that will provide more light just for this one grouping of stem plant? (Ludwigia Glandulosa)

Yes there are plenty of clip on single led or single some type of light. You can switch the clip on to a suction cup.

It depends on what light you get. The solar flare micro comes with a suction cup but I don't know if it'd be enough lighting. If you get a couple of them and focus them on the plant maybe it'd be enough.

Ok, that's what I thought you meant, but I don't think I've ever seen it done in an aquarium. Hopefully someone else can give you some information, following.

If that's not possible, it'll have to be above water :) Do those small LED's provide enough light for a group of stem plants?

See below. Its the plant on the right (ludwiga glandulosa)
img_2882641_0_933a9b9a6ada9c3718f7d61d97fc7f8d.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice tank! But again I've never heard of someone installing an underwater light in an aquarium. Have you done research on it? I think it would be easier to move that plant to an aerea where it gets light (to the left) and fill that spot with a low light plant.

Edit: or (just thought of this) shine a spotlight through the glass side panel of the aquarium. Althought I would go with the first option, because I like the shadowing effect you created with the floating plants.

Great ideas, I appreciate them. After reading your last comment a couple of times, I thought of another idea - with airline suction cups and "T-shaped" airline connectors, I can form a "corner" on top of the surface where the floating plants can't access, but light will shine on right through :) Might give it a cool look of bright light in the corners. Just ordered the needed parts, will update here with how it goes!

Worked great! Easy install. Airline tubing, "T-Connectors" and airline suction cups. Really opens up the tank, and now the "red" Ludwiga Glandulosa gets it's high light. Plus still have some floating plants. What do you think?

img_2885265_0_388a4284cf66842bf30571d976b1635c.jpg

img_2885265_1_0388a3f5a5a3ae97ec40e87b3b2e6979.jpg

If u ever have to much frogbit let me know I need some lol JK wish mine was like yours!

Back
Top Bottom