Small startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am new NEW to plants but would like to try. I am reading through all of the startup material. It is a lot of information. SO my question would be advice on a LOW cost SMALL and easy to maintain startup so I can grow from there or quit w/out much investment. I have a 3.5 gallon with an LED (and the white LED is out) SO I am assuming that one won't work. Tempted to get a Fluval Edge but wow the price tag!

Any suggestions ?
Reading on!
Thanks
Jana

From my limited experience its difficult to do it on the cheap. Lighting is definately I think the theory is 2-3watts per litre of water to grow plants. Also substrate is important if you want an aquaskape layout with garpeting plants then really fine aquasoil is the way to go.

If you just want hardy plants you might get away with securing plants to bogwood and it might grow into that. Not certain tho.

Try the greenmachineonline.com for more help.

I have attempted an aquaskape with ada aquasoil and fine aquasoil layer on top. Two t8 light tubes. And a diy c02 kit. Its starting to grow nicely.

sedgy90 said:
From my limited experience its difficult to do it on the cheap. Lighting is definately I think the theory is 2-3watts per litre of water to grow plants. Also substrate is important if you want an aquaskape layout with garpeting plants then really fine aquasoil is the way to go.

If you just want hardy plants you might get away with securing plants to bogwood and it might grow into that. Not certain tho.

Try the greenmachineonline.com for more help.

I have attempted an aquaskape with ada aquasoil and fine aquasoil layer on top. Two t8 light tubes. And a diy c02 kit. Its starting to grow nicely.

Watts per liter (or any other power to capacity ratio) is not reliable with smaller tanks. Carpets of different plants can easily be achieved with gravel, but you must give it the right conditions by dosing fertilizers and providing enough light. Most of the time the plants need co2 to grow a carpet. I am not sure what country is from but green machine online is a European site.

Yeah England. And I am English. Fair enough if its possible with gravel great but ada is ridiculously effective.

Great thanks for the information! I have been researching/absorbing and reading off and on since I posted this. I'm thinking I am going to wait until I can get a nice Fluval Edge (6Gallon) aquascape and make it a shrimp tank in the kitchen :p

More research!
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom