Smelly tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dander401

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a planted 10 gallon tank and it's been running for 2 months. Everywhere I read says not to clean the bottom except for big stuff because the plants eat it. So... I haven't. The other day I pruning my sword plant and distrurbed the bottom of the tank. A little bit of stuff came up and I didn't think much about it but the next day my tank smelled worse and each day it's gotten worse and worse. I have started changing about half a gallon a day and today took it from the bottom (let me just say gross about what came up). Now the tank is worse than ever and I can hardly enter the room. Please help

Ewww.... well, I think some routine disturbance of the substrate is helpful in preventing these situations. Things do get stagnant, and plants definitely don't need that much fertilizer to the point where you tank gets too smelly to tolerate.

Are you using gravel? Sand? If sand, then yes you do need to poke the sand a little to prevent anaerobic spots from forming.

For gravel, are you gravel vaccuuming? Unless you tank is so heavily planted that you can't vac at all, then vac wherever you can.

If it were me, in my small apartment with roommates, I would tear the tank down and clean the gravel out. 10g tanks are easy to tear down and restart since they're small. Just don't touch the filter media so that you don't have to re-cycle. I'm not saying that's the only option, but if it were me then that would indeed be my only option. I would get the tank cleaned and back up within an hour if the substrate were gravel- I did that just recently!

you could try using some mts to stir things up in the substrate they'd also serve as consumers of excess food that could be a contributing factor to the stank

manbeast said:
you could try using some mts to stir things up in the substrate they'd also serve as consumers of excess food that could be a contributing factor to the stank

Yes they would help. Next time you go to your LFS ask if they have these "pest" snails in their tanks. My LFS has gravel swarming with them.

I already have one mystery snail (assuming that's what mts is short for). It doesn't really do much on the ground. Kinda just stays on the glass and plants that are by the glass. Don't they go crazy with breeding if you get more than one?

Dander401 said:
I already have one mystery snail (assuming that's what mts is short for). It doesn't really do much on the ground. Kinda just stays on the glass and plants that are by the glass. Don't they go crazy with breeding if you get more than one?

Mystery snails are not mts. Mts are malayian trumpet snails.they would work though. In day they are in the gravel but come out at night. Thy do go crazy If you overfeed. They are asexual. Mystery snails are also called apple snails.

If the tanks smells, change out at least 50% of the water, siphoning the detrtitus from the bottom. If that doesn't do it, change another 50% the next day. Do use a dechlorinator on the new water.

Don't get your biological filtration mixed up by not vacuuming the substrate. Physically insert end of tube into gravel; siphon as much loose particle waste as possible. Their will always be some left behind to aid in biological filtration. Snails can stir up substrate but do to their small size, they have limited ability. Python brand is the way to go. Good luck.

Thanks everybody. I did the massive water change and vacuuming and stirring.... Thjk I may have killed one of my plants... But the tank is good! Thanks again

I just went through the same exact thing as you OP! Except my filter broke right after I re-started my fish tank, so I have to re-cycle it. But, hey, I've done it plenty of times before and I know what to expect ^^

Back
Top Bottom