Snail help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I would like to get a snail or two in my 10g planted tank but I do not want any snails that will eat my plants. Are there any snails out there that will not eat plants and only algae?

I dont think there are any snails that dont eat plants. But i have two golden apple snails and they havent eaten my plants. (but i have to addmite they have nibblie alittle bit) they eat alge of the walls but that isant enough so i give them some alge food.
Hope it helps.
I also have pond snails but they reproduce to fast(but they do keep my tank nice and clean!)

Robert123 said:
I dont think there are any snails that dont eat plants. But i have two golden apple snails and they havent eaten my plants. (but i have to addmite they have nibblie alittle bit) they eat alge of the walls but that isant enough so i give them some alge food.
Hope it helps.
I also have pond snails but they reproduce to fast(but they do keep my tank nice and clean!)

Okay thanks!!

+1 ^. Mystery snails will only eat dead plant matter. They may clean off the leaves of live plants but they won't eat them unless it's dead.

Most snails will leave healthy plants alone. Columbian ramshorns (huge, not the little ones) and rabbit snails will eat live plants, but they're not terribly common species. I've got MTS, ramshorns, and bladder snails in my tanks and they leave the plants alone. I've never had any trouble with mystery snails either.

BigJim said:
Most snails will leave healthy plants alone. Columbian ramshorns (huge, not the little ones) and rabbit snails will eat live plants, but they're not terribly common species. I've got MTS, ramshorns, and bladder snails in my tanks and they leave the plants alone. I've never had any trouble with mystery snails either.

I did not know rabbit snails would eat your plants, that gives me a good clue as to what has been going on with my lemon bacopa, thanks for the info

I did not know rabbit snails would eat your plants, that gives me a good clue as to what has been going on with my lemon bacopa, thanks for the info

I looked long and hard for information when my LFS had some rabbit snails in stock. Some people said they won't eat plants, but many said they will. Take it for what it's worth. I didn't want to take the chance.

image-2913989900.jpg

image-833495394.jpg

Bought a blue and ivory mystery snail at my LFS this afternoon! Also some crypt and wisteria! Been a good day!

Check out applesnail.net

There are some breeds of Apple snails like bridgessi which is normally what mystery snails are that will only eat old or decaying plant. I have a yellow one in my tank with no issues. There are some other breeds that will wipe out any live plants.

ashleynicole said:
Check out applesnail.net

There are some breeds of Apple snails like bridgessi which is normally what mystery snails are that will only eat old or decaying plant. I have a yellow one in my tank with no issues. There are some other breeds that will wipe out any live plants.

Thank you for sharing!! I bought a blue and ivory mystery snail. So far I have no seen any of my plants getting eaten. They will attach to them but I never have seen them eat them. I hope it will stay that way!

pleechford said:
Thank you for sharing!! I bought a blue and ivory mystery snail. So far I have no seen any of my plants getting eaten. They will attach to them but I never have seen them eat them. I hope it will stay that way!

Yeah most of the ones at the fish store are the the kind that only eat dead plant matter.

FYI, they are omnivores and love frozen blood worms

So now my snail are always at the base of my Cryptos and uprooting them. I don't think try are eating them possibly the decaying material? Is it harmful to have my Cryptos getting uprooted once a day ?

So my mystery snails are uprooting my cryptos and always at the base of them. I dont think they are eating my plants just maybe decay? Is it okay for my Cryptos to get uprooted like once a day?

So I have had my mystery snails for a while now and all of a sudden they have gotten HUGE and decided to attack my crypts. They are eating them like crazy? Any advice as to what I should do about this issue? My plants are more important than the snails haha :p

manbeast said:
two words "assassin snails", enjoy the hunt

I'm trying to figure out the most "ethical" approach as to going about this. Hmm.

Ahh. I'll just take them back to my LFS tomorrow and see if they will take them back?

Back
Top Bottom