Snail I.D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The orange (the most valuable variety) are currently on her list, but she also often sells chocolate, yellow, and orange spot, of which I have all three. They are tylomelania snails, often referred to as rabbit or poso snails. :) What color is the body of the snail? I *think* it's a MTS but I can't be sure. It's shell does look different than my MTS but it doesn't look like any of my rabbit snails either.

siva said:
It looks like it has a dark colored body, yes?

Yeah! It's like a mix between brown and black, he's in the very back of my tank but I think thats it. Does this mean it's a rabbit snail?:D

I'm just not sure! I just PM'd severum and asked her to take a look. ;)

After the second batch of pics you posted I'm thinking it's a rabbit snail. No prob. ;)

siva said:
After the second batch of pics you posted I'm thinking it's a rabbit snail. No prob. ;)

Oh ok cool! I got this guy for free cuz the LFS owner thought it was a MTS lol

That's awesome! One way you'll be able to tell in the future is reproduction. The rabbit snails require a male and a female to reproduce. MTS are hermaphroditic so, just one will give you lots of babies. :)

Oh and another thing, rabbit snails come up to the surface more often.

siva said:
That's awesome! One way you'll be able to tell in the future is reproduction. The rabbit snails require a male and a female to reproduce. MTS are hermaphroditic so, just one will give you lots of babies. :)

Oh wow! Ok thanks for the info!

MTS spend most of their time burrowed into the substrate. Rabbit snails, especially the adults, spend most of their time on the substrate, but also crawl up the glass to the top often, especially when the lights are out. :)

siva said:
MTS spend most of their time burrowed into the substrate. Rabbit snails, especially the adults, spend most of their time on the substrate, but also crawl up the glass to the top often, especially when the lights are out. :)

Oh ok cool! My RS is crawling around everywhere in his new tank lol I love him already! Haha

It's very hard for me to tell from the pics, but it looks like a large MTS to me. I have some that look like that, that are much bigger than my others.

Oh is it..wow this snail has me confused lol. I've never seen MTS with a dark foot like that.

Back
Top Bottom