Snail predator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sedgy90

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I have a planted tank with a Nerite snail in that cant breed in regular freshwater, the young nerited need brakish water to survive, or so I thought. I have about 30 babies crawling my tank.

Because Im a geek I want a natural way to get rid of them i.e. A predator (not a lettuce leaf or similar) I was going to borrow my mums zebra loach but they burrow and this would ruin my substrate and uproot my plants. Any ideas.

Thanks.

P.s I have neons and guppies in the tank so the predator must not affect them. Thanks.

Can you take a picture of your snail ? Doesn't sound like a normal Nerite.

Assassin Snails are natural predator. But you have to plan to feed them when they run out of snails, may kill adult as well Otherwise bait them with a Spinach leaf into a dish or jar and rehome them.

If you have a snail proliferation problem, you likely are over feeding as well. I would cut back feeding quite a but in addition to whatever removal plan you come up with.

I'm also dubious about whether the snail in question is actually a nerite given that its breeding in freshwater.

ForumRunner_20130124_204006.jpg

There are a few bigger ones but not visible and there are loads of smaller ones.

I believe those are regular pond snails. I had some pop up in my tank that only had nerites. Most likely they came hitching a ride on whatever plants you planted. I was advised to pull them out whenever you see them, because if they start to breed it will be very hard to get the population under control.

Either do that, or take out your nerites and buy some assassin snails.

Ahh ok. Do assassin snails not eat plants though?

I agree that you have two snail species on your hand, a nerite and pond/bladder snails. I would emphasize that anything you put in to eat the little guys is going to eat your nerite as well.

Assassin snails should not eat your plants. They are mostly (entirely?) carnivores.

ForumRunner_20130124_205030.jpg

Here is a pic of a larger baby. Its about 1 cm from tip of shell to base legnthways. To be honest i think you are right as its feelers are fatter than the nerite

Thanks guys. Also any suggestions on what to do with my Nerite in the meantime? I have a spare tank I could use but its coldwater.

Big thanks.

Erm basically whatever my room temp is. Its not set up at the mo so i couldnt tell you.

Dwarf puffers. They will smash them snails out. Only problem is they might get nippy with tankmates.

They will get nippy. Not a good community fish AFAIK.

As long as I don't overfeed my snails are fine. If I overfeed I get extra snails. I put in a leaf of Lettuce at night and trap out the extras.

Thanks guys.
I am going to separate my nerite.
Buy an assassin snail.
If he is fighting a loosing battle I will break out the lettuce.

Thanks all.

I'd buy a few. I don't think they cost that much. The ponds snails can explode in population at any time. Especially if you over feed.

Just remember how many you put in so you'll know how many to pull out so you don't accidentally leave one behind and put your nerites back.

Back
Top Bottom