Snail problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 75 gal tank with lots of live plants and a pond snail problem.

Current stock
10-cherry barbs
5-GBRs
3-Albino BN plecos
11-mixed corys

Is their a small type of loach that I could get that would mostly take care of my pests?

I have yo-yo loaches that love pond snails! They don't get overly large and do a great job.

I would love to take those from you. My dwarf puffers love munching on them.

There's also assassin snails :)

I've had pond snails before.. I just see then munching on algae with the exception of my downoi plant.

IMO Nerite snails are great for planted tanks. They can't reproduce in freshwater, lay eggs yes, but they can't hatch so you don't get a population explosion of them.

Yeah i use to hate the population explosion of pond snails... That is until i started a separate dwarf puffer tank. Now i welcome it because now they serve a purpose and it's just a joy to watch my puffers go on hunting mode for them.

Snail Problem

I have a 75 gal tank with lots of live plants and a pond snail problem.

Current stock
10-cherry barbs
5-GBRs
3-Albino BN plecos
11-mixed corys

Is their a small type of loach that I could get that would mostly take care of my pests?

Hello Fish...

Snails or their eggs are typically brought into the tank from plants. Oops. Since you have them now, it's important to know that snails feed mostly on leftover fish food. Since most fishkeepers overfeed their fish, this is a big problem.

It would be good to gradually decrease the amount you feed and avoid feeding flaked food. Flaked foods aren't the most nutritious and are high phosphate foods. The flakes that aren't eaten, dissolve in the tank water and create the perfect environment for snails.

So, slowly decrease the amount you feed and start your fish on more frozen foods. These have no added phosphate, just the frozen animal and water. These are more nutritious anyway.

Less food will slow the reproduction process and you'll have fewer snails.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

IMO Nerite snails are great for planted tanks. They can't reproduce in freshwater, lay eggs yes, but they can't hatch so you don't get a population explosion of them.

I did not put the pest snails in on purpose if that's what you are implying. And I already do have some nitrite snails. Will loaches hurt them?

I did not put the pest snails in on purpose if that's what you are implying. And I already do have some nitrite snails. Will loaches hurt them?

The loaches would be indiscriminate toward the type of snail. If it's a snail, it stands a chance to be eaten.

I was just saying that nerite snails are good snails for a planted tank that's all. Loaches are funny, while some eat or try to eat all snails some like my 3 yo-yo's only eat pond snails and leave my nerties and MTS's snails alone. So adding loaches is ify as to who they might eat. Pond snails have thin shells which makes them easy to get open and eat. Nerites have much harder shells and can fully retract into their shells as they are like trapdoor snails so they aren't so easy to get. I think my loaches got lazy and found pond snails such an easy meal they just don't want to work at going after the other snails. And they are all around 4" at least.

I was just saying that nerite snails are good snails for a planted tank that's all. Loaches are funny, while some eat or try to eat all snails some like my 3 yo-yo's only eat pond snails and leave my nerties and MTS's snails alone. So adding loaches is ify as to who they might eat. Pond snails have thin shells which makes them easy to get open and eat. Nerites have much harder shells and can fully retract into their shells as they are like trapdoor snails so they aren't so easy to get. I think my loaches got lazy and found pond snails such an easy meal they just don't want to work at going after the other snails. And they are all around 4" at least.

Ok what is the max size for yoyo loaches?

Yeah 4 or 5 is about right. I like my yo-yo's alot but if you get them don't freak out if you see them laying on their side like they are dead. They tend to rest that way alot.

Yeah 4 or 5 is about right. I like my yo-yo's alot but if you get them don't freak out if you see them laying on their side like they are dead. They tend to rest that way alot.

Ok thankS for all,the info guys! Next time I go to my LCD I will try to find yoyo loaches. Is their any other type of loach that is commonly found that my LCD would have?

Back
Top Bottom