Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mania

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
H guys i have a peppermint bristlenose breeding tank no other fish in it just the breeding pair, added some plants to it and it appears they had snails on them. Now i am fighting a battle of squishing ramshorn snails every night. Ive mastered everything bout cichlids and breed them regularly, any advise on getting rid of them would be great.
So far ive tried turning the light on in the middl

Welcome to AA!

The best way I know of to clamp down on a snail population is to add a couple assassin snails and cut back on feeding. The assassins do a pretty good job of keeping my ramshorns in check.

Ok i will give it a go, but do the assasins breed like the ramshorn?? Will i have time to remove the assasins before they start breeding??

Just found out assasin snails arent available on oz, i am gonna try adding a couplpe of clown loaches.... Wat you think??

I had clown loaches in my tanks before. They do a great job clearing out the snails. Plus, they're cool looking and fun to watch.

go for ghost shrimp,mine destroyed my snails.they wont eat any really big ones,but ive seen them take out any that are smaller than half there length. there also readily availiible and fairly cheap(i got mine for 75 cents each,and from what ive seen,thats fairly pricey)they can also go in practically any size tank,unlike clown loaches,which can get a foot long.crayfish are another option,but they might eat your fish.

What size tank? IMO, you don't need to buy fish for any reason other than your liking. Buying a fish to solve a problem is never a good idea.

That said, I enjoy having snails in my tanks. But, some people don't.

The best way and its really cheap cut up some cucumbers and right before u go to bed put them at the bottom of the tank and shut off the lights and in the morning before turning on the lights take the cucumber out it should be covered with snails do it till gone

Clown loaches will eventually get to 12" in length if they're kept in a proper tank. Chances are you'd be better off with yo-yo loaches that don't get nearly as large. The vegetable method also works.

Get a Yo Yo loach. Fun to watch, doesn't get too big. Yo Yo took care of 30+ snails in 3 days. Have not seen a snail since.

Back
Top Bottom