Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Whats the best snail for a planted tank to help eat rotten parts of plants?

The best option is to cut off any dead or dying leaves on your plants and take them out. Plants often expend a lot of energy trying to save dying leaves. Energy better spent growing healthier new leaves.
Nerite snails are always welcome in planted tanks. I love mine. Most snails will eat dead leaves, though. Many of the 'nuisance' snails like ramshorns eat them also. They used to be blamed for killing leaves but were later found to only be targeting the dying ones. I'm not saying to add them to your tank, only that they do the job your looking for. Nerite are popular, don't reproduce, and come in lots of varieties. If you have small leaved plants get small snails. If you have larger strong leaved plants any size snail should do.
You may want to check out the invertebrate section of the freshwater forum to see what's available and working for other people here.

Ok thank you that was extremely helpfull. I will look into nerite snails

Are these nerite snails? They were labelled zebra snails

Attachments

• image-1917995822.jpg
    image-1917995822.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 80
They kinda look like zebras... if I look real hard, but we need a better picture to confirm it. Maybe put them in a plastic bowl and take a pic from the top. :)

Ok i admit that was a poor pic lol i took some more. So do these look like nerites???

Attachments

• image-1664327434.jpg
    image-1664327434.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2765046375.jpg
    image-2765046375.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 67
tmdavies said:
Ok i admit that was a poor pic lol i took some more. So do these look like nerites???

Second pic looks like a zebra nitrite, the first one I can't find him :p

Back
Top Bottom