Snails and CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,

My tank always had a ph of 7.6-7.8. I have two nerite snails which seemed to be doing well. I started injecting CO2 which has taken my ph down to about 6.8. I know that acidic water isn't the best for snails, but I want to know if this will be an issue. They haven't been as active lately and I wonder if the CO2 addition is the cause.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not sure if CO2 is a problem for them or the pH drop, but the MTS in my high light planted tank look horrible. The MTS in my low light shrimp tank look wonderful. The latter were transferred from the planted tank several months ago. Though I inject CO2, the pH does not drop below 7.4. In the planted tank, the shells are darkened, tips decayed, and in some cases BBA growth is present. Meanwhile in the shrimp tank the MTS shells are colorful, snails are active and reproducing like rabbits.
Is it possible that the MTS shell condition be used as a crude index of the health or carbon level of the tank? For some reason the words "biogenic decalcification" come to mind. Where the plants are utilizing calcium carbonate to satisfy their carbon requirements. Which may lead to a calcium deficiency? If that is the case then increasing the CO2 bps or getting a more efficient diffusion method might be in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom