Snails eating HC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dskidmore

Aquarium Advice Addict
I received some HC in my recent trades. Quite a bit of it had suffered in shipment, but I picked out the healthy parts for planting. Not long after planting, my snail pack was swarming over it, ignoring the other new plants in the aquarium. I though perhaps I had not cleaned off all the dying matter, so didn't worry too much, but now I have significantly less HC than I did when I planted it on Thursday. Some of it just floated away and I replanted, but there were some significant chunks that are just plain gone.

There are no inhabitants in the tank besides snails and nematodes. The tank is 2.5 gallons, unpowered with medium-high light. The tank has been cycled for a few weeks now.

I have lots of HC in my 10 gallon, quite a few snails as well. They are ramshorns, they hang out in the HC but I've never had a problem with them eating it. Maybe your snails were snacking on the deteriorating parts of the HC. Hopefully when it greens up a bit your snails will leave it alone for you.

Back
Top Bottom