Snails in moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ESeck

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a big bag of java moss at a lfs. When I got it home, I noticed a bunch of tiny MTS crawling on the inside of the bag. I want to get rid of the snails before I put it into a tank. The moss will be going into a shrimp and endler tank.
I have come up with three methods of getting rid of the snails but I'm not sure what effect they will have on the moss.
- Dunking moss in ice water
- mixing Miracle Grow (high copper content) and water then rinse thoroughly (favorite so far)
- bleach dip (least favorite)
Help me out with figuring the best way to do this. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could try placing the moss in a bowl of water and drop in an algae wafer (or part of one) away from the moss. Let it sit overnight and the snails should migrate from the moss to the food source.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah but the food does nothing for the eggs.

Don't kill them! Since there babies, the endless will most likely pick at them and eat them. My GBR does this all the time. Also, MTS are actually OK to get established in a n quorum IMO because they aerate substrate really well and actually benefit you. On the othe hand, great excuse to set up a Dwarf Puffer tank......:ROFLMAO:

Ciclids are known to eat snails. Endlers are tiny and not particularly ferocious toward snails. I'm not interested in setting up a dwarf puffer tank as i would have to remove the shrimp and endlers.

It's probably to late for this but I don't think that the miracle grow option is a good idea since copper is deadly to shrimp to. If any copper was left on the moss and the shrimp picked at it I would be nervous for the shrimp.

It's probably to late for this but I don't think that the miracle grow option is a good idea since copper is deadly to shrimp to. If any copper was left on the moss and the shrimp picked at it I would be nervous for the shrimp.

It's not too late. I'm not doing anything for a day or two to see if any better ideas come along.

I considered that this could be a problem. I figured if i kept doing water changes in a bucket for a couple of weeks it would be ok. Do you prefer one of my other ideas or have one of your own?

Algae wafer has always worked well for me as well. Good call fresh. But nils is also right, MTS are good for planted tanks and aerating substrate. Theyre not as pesty as most pest snails.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I third the keeping of the mts. I put them in my tanks on purpose because they are good for plants.

The miracle grow route isnt really gonna work. Its still a really low copper content in it despite being one of the ingredients. Heck, we use copper in our plant fertilizers.

If you don't like the snails, you could get some Assassin Snails if any of the methods that you try don't work. They have almost completely wiped out the pesky pond snail population in my tank. Plus, Assassin Snails are colorful.

Back
Top Bottom