Snails, ph and nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creic38

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all. I've been a reader of this site for a bunch of months, so I just signed up to get into the action with you guys. Everyone is extremely helpful, which is why I am now reaching out. I have several issues I'm hoping to get answers for.

1) I just wen through an unexpected mini cycle. I got total ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes down to zero. What is the best way to get nitrAtes back up? I have a crypt and java moss in there, and plan to add more plants next week.

2) Do I need to add cuttle bone in the tank (29 gallon) for my MTS? If so, how much and will this mess up my ph?

3) Which shrimp are the hardiest? I've been leaning towards RCS. I am also thinking of adding a ram in there; will the ram eat the shrimp? I've read mixed things about this.

4) Should I be adding ferts to the tank? I've been using API Leaf Zone, less than the recommended dosage. My understanding is that the crypt and moss don't really need it. My plans are to add either more crypts or anubias, or both.

Sorry for the long post guys. Just wanted to get everything in there. Thanks so much for your help! Everyone here truly is awesome!!!!

1. Add a nitrogen supplement if you think you need it. For a planted tank I would recommend keeping your NO3 between 10-40ppm.

2. No.

3. I would call RCS a fairly hardy species. They are certainly easier to care for than some of the caridina species. I would have no qualms recommending them to a beginning shrimp keeper.

4. API Leafzone is ok to use. It is a trace/K mix. What you need to add though will depend on how many plants you have, what kinds of plants you have, and how strong of light you have. You may find this helpful: Introduction to Fertilizing the Planted Tank - Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the quick response, fort. So what do you think of shrimp and rams together? And I only plan on having 4 or 5 low maintenance plants until I gain more experience. Ferts or no ferts?

Thanks again!

What kind of light do you have?

I would continue to dose the leafzone (conservatively, as you already are) and test nitrates for awhile to make sure they aren't bottoming out. If they are, consider a nitrogen supplement like some dry KNO3 or some SeaChem Nitrogen.

I wouldn't put RCS with rams. They would potentially become snacks. The offspring, in particular, wouldn't last long, and that is one of the best parts of an RCS tank - keeping a sustaining colony.

The light is a fluorescent bulb that came with it....haven't really checked it out yet. It is a bright daylight type. I already replaced everything besides the light, just so I could have. Much better setup. I'm sticking with low light plants anyway.

Decisions, decisions......what other type of centerpiece fish could I get that would't bother shrimp? I currently have 9 black skirt tetras, one swordtail, one platy and 4 albino corys. I obviously need one or two of something that doesn't need to be in a school.

Yeah, unfortunately most centerpiece fish will eat shrimp. Pretty much any omnivore that can fit a baby shrimp in it's mouth will eat it.

Oh well......I'll figure something out. Thanks for the info!

If you get amano shrimp instead I know that sparkling gouramis would be a great center piece fish. Amano shrimp are pretty easy to keep as well and will help keep your tank clean but unlike RCS will not breed and create a colony because the fry shrimp need brackish or salt water.

Thanks man. I'll have to think long and hard about this. That, or I'll have to convince the wife to let me hook up another tank! Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom