Snails, Plecos, Gravel Vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aarongalvan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Question #1:
What is the benefit of having snails in your tank vs. plecos?

Question #2
Will plecos tear up my plants once I get it planted, or should I leave him in the tank?

Question #3
Can I keep a pleco (BN by the way) and snails, or is that pointless?

Question #4
Can I still do a gravel vac in a planted tank, if not, what's the best way to clean the substrate once I have a heavily planted tank?

1 snails tend to be better for the most part. many plecos dont eat algae and you still have to feed them other foods. pets snails are great clean up and shows you when you are over feeding. nerites are the best algae eaters out there can clear off a front of a tank with green spot algae in no time.

2 no they shouldnt but it depends on the substrate and what plants. mine dont try and kicks things up but my bn when the males fight can know plants out of the sms substrate.

3 yes you can keep both.

4 yes and no. the area you dont have plants you should gravel vac. the area with plants just go over the top going around and around kicking up the dirt sucking it out.

Awesome, thanks!
I'm not sure what kind of snails I have, they were in the bag with my Anacharis...

I'm guessing NERITEs are a type of snail; I look for some.

Some apple snails will eat live plants ... not what you want. Go to applesnail.net & see if you can ID your snail.
Apple snail (Ampullariidae) genera and species.

Bridgesii are fine, they only eat dead plants. <Good for clean up). But I once had some canna's by mistake & they demolished my plants in a matter of days.

My pleco likes to uproot plants in front of his "cave", otherwise he is fairly benign for plants.

Back
Top Bottom