Snails with Live Plants, shipping is billed, snails ride free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelg210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trying to purchase some java ferns on line, but it seems no one guarantees snail free.

I have been told snails are not a bad thing or no big deal, but I really don't want them.

There are additives that will kill off snails i believe, or someone told me aquarium salt for freshwater also kills them.

Should I just order them and approach it this way or does anyone have any advice on this?

thanks

Don't treat them with chemicals to remove snails. Common "pest" snails are a really good indicator if you do receive them. I can send you 1000% snail free ferns if you want. Just let me know and I'll drop them in the puffer tank. ;)

Plants

Don't treat them with chemicals to remove snails. Common "pest" snails are a really good indicator if you do receive them. I can send you 1000% snail free ferns if you want. Just let me know and I'll drop them in the puffer tank.

1. what do you mean by good indicator?

2. They don't all have to be Java Ferns, if you wish to suggest some others. I am really not sure what I am looking for, myself, I found a few on line looked pretty neat, but can't remember which they were. It looked sort of like an artichoke…

I like the shrub of an Anubia I picked up. Java ferns seem to be reccommended often, so, figured why not, they look pretty good. Just want something with either semi big leaves or semi-wide blades. Something fish can hide in.

Also, I prefer something that roots in the substrate, which mine is very small, perhaps too fine, but don’t mind a few attachable ones.

Some of these look cool also, but not sure how big they get or lighting requirements but think I found a place I can research some of that:
Cryptocoryne Lutea aquarium plant
Cryptocoryne Wendtii "Green" aquarium plant
Anacharis (but would possibly need CO2 / Fertilizer, like the look though)
Sword, Pink Rose
Hygrophila angustifolia aquarium plant
Basically, 2 10 watt lights, PH is just above 8.2 or so. Don’t know what other information matters.

1 of over feeding. if you feed too much you will have a lot.
2 the crypts are both low light plants. anacharis doesnt need ferts or co2. its a low light plant. swords and hygro are more med light plant.

i would stick with anubias java ferns crypts and moss. lots of options between the different species.

Put a piece of lettuce or cucumber in the tank and leave overnight by the morning if you have snails in the tank they should be on the vegetables you placed, if not you could get a loach, Kuhli and yoyo loaches are good :)

Kuhlis, not so much. They have smaller and differently shaped mouths than the real snail eaters (Yoyo, clown, tiger, botia in general).

PM sent Michael.

MG hit the nail on the head. There is no better indicator of overfeeding to me than the snail population in a tank.

Yoyos LOVE snails. I used to have a snail grow out tank just to feed him.

Yoyos LOVE snails. I used to have a snail grow out tank just to feed him.

I started intentionally overfeeding a couple of tanks just to keep snails supplied to the puffers and loaches. They love their snial snacks! :)

before and after

Kuhlis, not so much. They have smaller and differently shaped mouths than the real snail eaters (Yoyo, clown, tiger, botia in general).

PM sent Michael.

MG hit the nail on the head. There is no better indicator of overfeeding to me than the snail population in a tank.

ok, forget the before, check out the after:

Attachments

• FSCN0898.jpg
    FSCN0898.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 86
  • FSCN0907.jpg
    FSCN0907.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0883.jpg
    DSCN0883.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Lookin great! I was going to suggest adding a background and then I noticed it's viewable on both sides. Now, I'm a bit jealous! lol

Back
Top Bottom