So are some plants more susceptible to algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a decent variety in my tank.
I notice my val will grow hair algae on the edges of super thick healthy blades but these are right under my filter which outputs my co2.
My wisteria is a hair algae beast. My anubias get small specks on the leaves but nothing crazy.
Yet my banana, sword, lily, floating and java fern are basically sparkling clean.
Does anyone else notice some plants will be attacked more than other? I'd love to make a list of more algae resistant plants if possible and may why they are.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Generally slower growing plants are more susceptible to algae outbreaks but that is not always the case. It has more to do with the health of the plant. Some plants will devote more resources to new growth and that is probably why you see algae growing on the older leaves of an otherwise healthy plant. As for algae appearing at the edge of the lead blade, I believe this is because nutrients are being expelled from the leaf in these areas (edges) during times of duress and the algae is taking advantage of it.
Your list should include plants that favor the conditions you are keeping them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't know but my setup is med light at least with excel and comprehensive alternating days.
I notice my more resiliant plants seem to have the shiny leaves

As for algae appearing at the edge of the lead blade, I believe this is because nutrients are being expelled from the leaf in these areas (edges) during times of duress and the algae is taking advantage of it.

Whaaa? Why would plants expel their nutrients in times of stress? The exact opposite happens: they start to viciously conserve nutrients, even at the cost of cannibalizing themselves.

Some plants certainly attract more algae:slow growers are more prone to GSA or BBA, etc. But there are two components here, both what plants you have, and where you put them. Low flow areas can invite algae, but high flow areas also tend to accumulate thread/hair algae, which sounds like what you're seeing. Some with hair algae growing on the edges of plants; they just get more flow/nutrients out there than on the middle of a leaf.

I like your info. Would you like to help me make a low algae thread for planted tanks?

Whaaa? Why would plants expel their nutrients in times of stress? The exact opposite happens: they start to viciously conserve nutrients, even at the cost of cannibalizing themselves.

Some plants certainly attract more algae:slow growers are more prone to GSA or BBA, etc. But there are two components here, both what plants you have, and where you put them. Low flow areas can invite algae, but high flow areas also tend to accumulate thread/hair algae, which sounds like what you're seeing. Some with hair algae growing on the edges of plants; they just get more flow/nutrients out there than on the middle of a leaf.

I was looking for the original place I read this but could not find it. However, here is a link to the leaking out of nutrients at the edge of older leaves. Not due to stress but from age. At the end of "Observations 1". http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/2006/03/staghorn-algae.html?m=1
Here is a more generic hypothesis about algae on edge of leaves referred to as the "edge effect", paragraph 4. Not related to nutrient expulsion: https://books.google.com/books?id=o...X&ei=07ENVfGNLMuWgwTN2YLQAQ&ved=0CBcQ6AEwBDgK

That blog post is purely speculation though. I wouldn't put much heed into it.

The book except is more interesting, but ultimately just more guessing and speculation. People have speculated about chemical warfare between plants, macroalgae, and epiphytic algae for decades, but the proof isn't robust. I find #3 and the explanation in the following paragraph to be more convincing.

That blog post is purely speculation though. I wouldn't put much heed into it.

The book except is more interesting, but ultimately just more guessing and speculation. People have speculated about chemical warfare between plants, macroalgae, and epiphytic algae for decades, but the proof isn't robust. I find #3 and the explanation in the following paragraph to be more convincing.

18 hours later and I've got nothing...
OZIHlaB.png

I think this thread is turning into a but of a war.
My question was supposed to be based on more personal experience of people with their plants not so much going into proving things

I think that it is a pretty informative thread really. There's a lot of information in this thread about possible reasons for algae on certain plants, etc.

I think that it is a pretty informative thread really. There's a lot of information in this thread about possible reasons for algae on certain plants, etc.

But which ones have you found to be the most resilient yourself?

I've been debating on pulling all my wisteria just because it seems to grow so fast and let go of its dead leaves that its an algea magnet.

Im thinking of switching it with some more swords or something.

I've got val and giant hygo under high light (I assume) that seems to attract more BBA in the centre of the tank. The tank is lit by 3 box lights (not bars) so it isn't even light. CO2 injection is only on one side. The hygro grows quicker than the val but both have BBA.

I'm assuming here that the stem plants on the edges are getting a better balance of co2, lights and ferts that they are growing better than algae can get a foothold on them. I've got foxtail wrapped around driftwood and that seems to be doing very well. Going too well really.

Since decreasing light to 7.5hrs and increasing ferts dosing a lot (substrate is gravel so I assume that doesn't help), the plants seem to be doing better.

Lol - lots of assuming going on here.

My val is right under where the co2 comes in. I think the val just attracts the algae

Back
Top Bottom