So... Lighting eh? How about the sun...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I have a really crappy light setup for my 45 gal, BUT it does get about 3-5 hours of indirect sunlight a day... Add that with my 17 watt florescent, and what? Would it work? The kitchen (Which it is half in) has 12 60 watt bulbs... Is this enough light? I've been considering co2 and liquid ferts for my DHG, ludwigia, Anubis nana, Amazon swords, and java moss... Using moss for wall...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397275569.682531.jpgDistance ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397275624.113758.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397275579.702375.jpgSome lights VVVImageUploadedByTapatalk1397275591.425794.jpg Distance of lights...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397275644.555894.jpg Tank

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

How about getting some cheap clamp lights from Home Depot and some cfl bulbs? It definitely give you more control over what you aim to do.

How about getting some cheap clamp lights from Home Depot and some cfl bulbs? It definitely give you more control over what you aim to do.

Lol I've been looking into that, got some today. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397346365.150463.jpg
2 warmer bulbs on sides, cooler light strip across whole tank + single cool bulb in middle! Gonna use DIY co2, and off to buy some ferts! :D

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

I say this to highlight tanks (no offense to any members that have these, I love them still but I just do t have a green thumb, instead I have the breeders touch I think....) but bAck to what I say. You guys can play with your controllable LEDS and MH, and all. Ill go put my grow out tubs outside now, and when I take them down ill have a rainforest of plants. Ha. Once again I mean no offense as I love the great planted tanks I see, it's just not for me.

I say this to highlight tanks (no offense to any members that have these, I love them still but I just do t have a green thumb, instead I have the breeders touch I think....) but bAck to what I say. You guys can play with your controllable LEDS and MH, and all. Ill go put my grow out tubs outside now, and when I take them down ill have a rainforest of plants. Ha. Once again I mean no offense as I love the great planted tanks I see, it's just not for me.

What's MH??? o_O... Did you mean "don't" or was another word left out :p

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Tank Lighting

Hello Pandi...

I think you'll find the indirect light isn't strong enough for your aquarium plants. You need another bulb. Ideally, a two bulb setup. One bulb at 6500K and the other at 10000.

B

I guess I don't understand plants and lights. Out in the wild, how on earth are these plants surviving or thriving? I've never seen lights with high wattage bulbs hanging over them. ;)

Hello Pandi...

I think you'll find the indirect light isn't strong enough for your aquarium plants. You need another bulb. Ideally, a two bulb setup. One bulb at 6500K and the other at 10000.

B

I have 4 now. 3 clamp lights, All CFL's. 1 strip florescent. I think 147 watts total... So... Yeah. o_OImageUploadedByTapatalk1397397026.329797.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397397037.894326.jpg

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Just for the record plants in the wild often get direct sun for several hours a day plus many of the high light plants we use in tanks are actually found mostly in their emersed growth form in the wild where they get sun and don't have to rely on getting light which is diminished the deeper the light has to penetrate. Emersed to immersed and sun to aquarium lights is like comparing apples to oranges.

Using MH's, T5HO's, etc for high lighting in tanks is necessary if you want non green plants to color up well and for growing high light carpeting plants especially in deeper tanks. High light and high tech isn't for everyone and are not needed for many plants.

OP the amount of lighting you use will determine the type of plants you use. DHG does need high light to grow well and spread. See if your current lighting works and if not you can always up grade down the road.

Just for the record plants in the wild often get direct sun for several hours a day plus many of the high light plants we use in tanks are actually found mostly in their emersed growth form in the wild where they get sun and don't have to rely on getting light which is diminished the deeper the light has to penetrate. Emersed to immersed and sun to aquarium lights is like comparing apples to oranges.

Using MH's, T5HO's, etc for high lighting in tanks is necessary if you want non green plants to color up well and for growing high light carpeting plants especially in deeper tanks. High light and high tech isn't for everyone and are not needed for many plants.

OP the amount of lighting you use will determine the type of plants you use. DHG does need high light to grow well and spread. See if your current lighting works and if not you can always up grade down the road.

I have like 3.5 WPG atm, is that good? No liquid ferts yet, but getting some soon enough. Making DIY co2... I have DHG, will it carpet under the above conditions??

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

You might have enough light but I don't think DHG will flourish. DIY CO2 is useless in a tank that big so you either need to go with a pressurized CO2 system or use a high dose of liquid carbon daily. 1ml of liquid carbon for every 2 gallons of water. Using Metricide 14 Day Solution is cheaper and 2x the strength of Excel or API CO2 Booster. I would also suggest using dry ferts which not only is a lot cheaper but will also provide plants with all the micro and macro nutrients they need.

You might have enough light but I don't think DHG will flourish. DIY CO2 is useless in a tank that big so you either need to go with a pressurized CO2 system or use a high dose of liquid carbon daily. 1ml of liquid carbon for every 2 gallons of water. Using Metricide 14 Day Solution is cheaper and 2x the strength of Excel or API CO2 Booster. I would also suggest using dry ferts which not only is a lot cheaper but will also provide plants with all the micro and macro nutrients they need.

Awwww really? I was counting on DIY co2 >.< I have some root tabs in sand ATM. What if I used like 6 water bottles? I have a 45 gal, do root tabs provide co2?

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

You could try that many bottles and just see if it works. I would get a drop checker to monitor how much is going into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom