So many plants, so little space.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank. In it I have some plants, though
I think I need some more for filler. Can anyone suggest some good plants that require minmal matenince, ie. special fretilizer. These plants should be hardy and fast-growing. THNX.

I actually had a hard time with the anacharis. It likes cooler water and it wasn't doing well until I took it out and put it in my Betta's tank. Now it's thriving. I've had good luck with Wisteria, Java Fern (shoots up like a weed!), Hair Grass, those cute little Banana Plants, some plant that has red in it...I can't remember the name of it but it grows pretty much straight up and has thin stems with lots of leaves on it. Anyway, I bought it a month ago at 4" tall, it's almost growing out of the water now in my 55 gal. I also like Straight Vallisnera (sorry about the spelling), and the Twisted variety. That's one of my favorites. I have more plants in there that are doing fine with the red stuff in the gravel (I can't remember what it's called) fertilizer once a week after water change, and plugs in the gravel that get replaced every 3 months. That's less work than my fish need...LOL

One of my favorites is Sunset Hygro. The stuff grows like mad, new leaves are pink and whit, old leaves a nice green, With decent light it is unkillable.

I would second the recommendation of Aquabotanic but would not recommend AZ Gardens.

U will still need to replenish iron in aquarium every water change in order to have healthy grow.

would normal fertilizer work? I got some pretty high powered stuff.

NO! unless you want a tank loaded with algae, never use fertilizer meant for gardens or houseplants. Way too much nitrogen.

Back
Top Bottom