So sad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imissmytruck

Aquarium Advice Regular
Three days ago I lost my entire tank. I am still overly depressed about it. It started when one of my roselines had popeye. I don't have a hospital tank so had to treat the whole tank with severely reduced amounts of Epsom and Myracyn. Cured in one day! Then my plants started to show weakness to the salt....so I started major water changes two and three days apart. After a week all my water parameters were in great range. But my Cypress Halferi started to show BBA. So I did a treatment of Flourish Excel with the filter turned off. A treatment I've done a thousand times! My son and I went bowling for an hour and a half. Got home.....all dead. Except my giant pleco and one emerald rainbow. My LFS said I could bring them in to their hospital tank. The minute we stepped out of the car....the Emerald turned over....gone. The pleco lived and was adopted the next day. Thankfully. Please all of you out their....be careful. Funny thing is....my LFS pros said they believe my water changes made the water to clean and restarted the cycle, which they say most likely killed my fish. I don't think I agree. Like I said (and no I do not remember the exact parameters after I did the immediate tests), the parameters were all in great levels.

The wife says we should restart the tank. I am so depressed right now that I am not sure I could do it again. I fear that now I am going to kill everything.

In memory of all my loved ones here is a list of what I lost.

Three Roselines.
Three Dyed skirt tetras
One Emerald Rainbow
One (beautiful) Parkisoni Rainbow
One Turquoise Rainbow
One giant Albino Rainbow Shark (the wifes favorite)
One very old Dojo Loach

I am very sorry my fishies......

I have put in new substrate (red fluorite), replanted all my plants and restarted the cycle. I am still not sure if I wanna get new fish. I feel I don't deserve them.

I apologize for my depressive rant. :(

I'm so sorry! It's always hard when a tank crashes but don't let it discourage you. I'm pretty sure most of us here have had similar experiences, I know I have. Don't give up.

So after my huge loss (emotionally I am still not recovered) my wife encouraged me to restart the tank. I have since purchased 5 black skirt tetras and 5 red minor tetras. Plus one guy, Phil, at my favorite LFS had to move, so I adopted four of his congo tetras. One male and four female. And I just today adopted a foot and half long rope fish.

My only concern is the black skirts have been nipping at each other and at the male congo. Should they be separated? side note....the red minors and black skirts were only purchased because they were One: cheap, but mainly because I needed the poop to keep my plants alive. opinions?

So, so sorry for what you ve went thru. Sounds pretty rough. Do know how you feel, I ve accidentally killed 2 Zebra loaches from my own stupidity & it s really hard to get over.
But, it sounds like you re a good fish owner & I bet u get a lot of pleasure from your tank. Hope all goes well for you from here on out. Enough bad already, right? Best wishes!

Hey man sorry for your loss. Best thing to start over with fresh eyes and positive attitude.

Sorry to hear about your fish :( happens to the best of us. I recently had the same thing happen to my tank and hubby had to push me back into the hobby. So good for you for getting back out there!! Hope everything is going well :) and good luck with the ropefish we recently got one and we love her to death!

So sorry about what happened... I killed off an entire tank by using too much osmocote under my substrate during a rescape... It's definitely not a good feeling... I did major water changes daily for weeks and couldn't get the parameters down. Don't wanna sound rude, but you're re staring your cycle and still added all those fish to the tank...? Or did you leave the tank and filter running? Just don't wanna see you lose any of the newbies. Test daily and keep an eye on everyone! Good luck! :D

Back
Top Bottom