so which reactor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't think I got a good reactor with my otherwise fine co2 set up.. so which one should I consider for a 37 gallon cube, to make the most of my pressurized system.?

what reactor did you get?

do you use a canister filter? HOB?

there's a lot of options, some free, some cheap, some over $50...we'll help you find the best fit.

im going to post this question as it relates to malkores last post. I have a HOB canister... i know that seems odd, never seen one before. Regardless, im am considering a CO2 injection system. How do I input CO2 lines to the canister with out drilling holes or otherwise comprimising the filter and warranty

Can't do cannister injection here.... I have the filstar and I read that they are subject to airlock already. Not worth the trouble if this happens.

I'd prefer to try a small powered reactor.

I got a no name thing that suggests I place it "near" a power head...

if I am going to go to all of this trouble, I'd rather do a better job than that.

so .. again I ask.. can someone recommend a good reactor for a 37 gallon tank to use with pressurized co2 :)

thanks!

Sounds like a passive diffuser (doesn't have a pump or any circulating water in it).

You can indeed use the canister, but you need an inline reactor placed on the return side.
There are lots of DIY plans for these that use PVC pipe, PVC glue, and something inside to help break up the bubbles of CO2...often times I see marine bio-balls in use (like what you'd put in a sump).

Otherwise, I have a vortex reactor, which is the manufactured version of your basic 'power head and gravel vac tube' DIY reactor.

The dyi 's look interesting, but I live in the middle of manhattan without any nearby home depot like parts stores.. and no car. that and the fact that I am a mom of two tiny kids who really spends too much time on the tank already makes it far easier for me to buy the manufacturered versions of most things.

the only vortex I see on line seems to have a 30 gallon max capacity.. does yours hold up to a slightly larger tank? brand name please?

and thanks! Now that I've decided to commit to co2, I really would love to get set up ;)

Look at a phos reactor, instead of phosphate media put in Bioballs, get the water to flow from top to bottom and hook it inline with your filter, presto, the Co2 will sit in the phos reactor getting broken up by the bio balls and what doesn't get dissolved rises to the top to "ride" again.

They are 31-35$

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11586&N=2004+113427

same concept as below and other high end reactors, but without the pricetag..

I've noticed a company will take the exact same product, throw a new sticker on it saying it's a speciality item and double the price, for example, look at the nitrate reactors, they are the same as the phos reactors, but carry a 150$+ pricetag..

This is the reactor I speak of:

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/product.asp?0=217&1=253&3=147

Power_reactor.jpg

wiz your's looks interesting, but I ended up with Malkore's suggestion since peter at azgardens likes it too. He's been a really great advisor for much and has gone out of his way numerous times to help me, so I trust him hugely!!!

Malkore, when the controller lowers or turns off the co2 ... does the powerhead on the reactor work to help keep flow going in the tank or should I still run a separate powerhead as I do now...?

where do you come out on the controller/timer/24/7 co2 debate?

sherry,

you bought a controller no? if so, the controller will decide when your co2 goes on and off depending on the target ph you set. so the 24/7 question is moot.

i can explain it more when i help you set it up...

:)

Wiz: Great idea and great find on the Phos reactor. They're on sale now and I plan on ordering one for each of my 90 gal. At $32, its much easier than a DYI and I hate wandering the plumbing isles, searching for just the right fitting. :)

I already have 3 comin in. Also, if you use a maxijet powerhead you can use the venturi intake to inject it into the water going in, with my current setup I just have to hook up the tubing, the powerhead turns on with the lights and I use a junglelabs "tray" to store the Co2 made overnight (the fitting on the top of the tray goes to the venturi input via a hose. and the powerhead is below the tray so it has to be sucked down to the pump.

Back
Top Bottom