Soaking Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I remember reading somewhere on this site that you can soak live plants in a solution to remove snails that may have hitchiked. What is the solution?

Thanks An t-iasg. I rinsed and shook them in luke warm water and ran my fingers down them to clean all of the gunk that was on them at the lfs. I think I pulled off any snails if they were there. I couldn't imagine putting those plants in the tank without cleaning them first. They didn't look so hot at the lfs, but they will rebound and fill the tank. :D I am so excited to have a fully planted tank. I added the Anubias and hopefully will be able to find some Java Moss. I've searched every lfs I've been to and noone has it. It's getting frustrating. Ordering online seems like a waste because shipping is an arm and a leg compared to the plant price.

I just rinse new plants under the faucet when I get them too. I bought a few of those foil meatloaf/bread pans at the grocery store, and I fill that with some water, add a few drops of dechlor, and soak the plants in there for a few hours. Sometimes the little snails aren't apparent right away, so after a few hours in the pan, they seem to come out. I pull off the snails, rinse some more, and run my fingers up and down them too, hoping to dislodge any snail eggs. I haven't had any problems with snails by carefully soaking in plain water and then looking through the plant while rinsing. It can be a bit time-consuming, but it's worth it to get the snails off. I use the foil pans again as I'm trimming the plants. I put the plants in the pan while I finish up with the water change, and then I trim the plants and put back. With my hygro stem plants, they need to be pulled out of the tank every 3 or so weeks, trimmed, and replanted.

I can't believe how much shipping is for plants! The actual cost may not be that much, but for the value of the plant, it is a lot, like you said. I'm lucky that the hatchery I go to has 4 big tanks of plants!

Back
Top Bottom