soft, acidic water and CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be setting up a 55 gal and I wanted to make it a planted tank. Because I am thinking of kepping peaceful SA cichlids (keholes etc..) I was going to add peat to the filter media to soften and acidify the water. But since then I have read up on CO2 affecting the pH and KH and I was wondering would this do it for me, without peat?

If I did have a CO2 system, I would have to make a DIY one with yeast etc, how can I control the output of theese? Is it possible?

DIY won't be very effective on a tank that size, unless you have multiple, large CO2 generators (2-4 1gallon jugs, gang'd together).

CO2 will lower pH, while leaving Kh alone. Thus the water will be more acidic, but not necessarily soft.

I"m no SA cichlid expert, but I suspect they'll be fine without manipulating the water chemistry...but they may not spawn without a proper 'lower' hardness.

thanks

Do you have any recommendations for how to lower kh? because I live in London where I think the water is very hard and I have hopes to breed them.

ADF's,

I don't believe in modifying water chemistry until you know without a doubt what your parameters are currently. Lots of people say "I have hard water" when they actually are borderline soft, or in the middle.
I suggest you pickup GH and KH test kits, test the tap water, and see where you're currently at.

I'm with Malkore. First find out what your existing water parameters are and then think about adjusting if it proves to be necessary. The only safe way to lower KH is to dilute your tank water with RO or distilled water at water change time. This can be a real pain in a large tank so hopefully will not be necessary for you. Most SA cichlids are quite hardy and will deal well with even hard water so I would consider the use of RO water only as a last resort.

I am currently running 4, 2-liter bottles of DIY CO2. I change 2 every 2 weeks and seem to get reasonably good results. Right now I have the CO2 coming into the tank in two places. One is a bubble ladder type setup, and the other is a diffusion bell. My CO2 consistently test at about 22-26 ppm. I use the CO2 chart to figure this based on Ph and Kh. Since I didn't believe my DIY system could possibly work that well, I also bought a CO2 test kit, and it gets the same reading as using the chart.

As for your Water, as Malkore mentioned, you have to know what you have before you start changing it. When you do test your tap water make sure you let it sit for a few hours after pulling it from the tap. There may be diffused CO2 at first that will affect your readings, and you should let this outgas a bit.

Myself, I buy water from my local water store. It cost me $7.00 (US) a week to do 20 gallons PWC's. their water is ultra purified, and tests at Ph 6.0, 1 degree of GH, and 1 degree of KH. From there I add my fertilizer mix. After my last PWC (open's journal) my water tested at a Ph of 6.6 and 3 degrees KH.

There are some other few things in my tank which I am sure affect the Ph/Kh to some degree, Such as African Bog wood which is very dark and rich in tannins. I also use a natural substrate from Jade Beach in Monterey, CA. This has a modest sea shell content (Calcium) which I imagine has a small affect on raising the Hardness.

After you figure out the chemistry and testing issues suggested, try a powered diffuser. I ran a ladder and bell in my set-up like Zezmo for a while, and they're both trumped easily by one powered diffuser. My volume is much smaller than everyone in this thread, though...

When it comes to running CO2, I'd much rather have decent alkalinity (KH) than inadequate, as often planted tank keepers have to supplement to keep the KH up. Count your blessings and proceed :D For your fish they will be much more affected by GH and pH than KH, so I would not worry.

thanks for everyones advice. I would get a canister etc but they are quite expensive. so i think ill try zezmo's DIY set-up.

I bought a test kit, but lost the cards, so i've just ordered another one and will go from there..

Ive read about people going to the liquor store and getting a CO2 canister on lease for a keg kit I think the name brand over here is brewmaster. getting the canister tested would be there job and you only have to worry about getting it filled.. getting a regulator that would work for CO2 dosing might still be an issue..

That sounds like a good, inexpensive plan but where would you get CO2 from and how would you fit parts, like the regulator, together...

I don't think there is a terribly good inexpensive way to run pressurized. For a tank that size, if you stick with this, eventually you are going to get pressurized because you will get sick of trying to monkey with the DIY, but I did it for years on my 55 before I got tired of it, saved up my pennies (and got hubby to give the setup to me for Christmas.... :wink: )

the liquor stores sell CO2 over here for the keg systems.. and the regulator would fit on the tank.. the CO2 tanks are the same.. you would still need to buy a regulator and related equipment.. it just keeps you from having to purchase your own tank and get it tested periodically.

Back
Top Bottom