Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2017, 02:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Soil is white and goopy, planted tank w Chinese seed and lava rock.

I found a 20g for $5 at an awesome saltwater store nearby. Previously I ordered some plant seeds from China on a phone app 2 months ago and finally got them after dreaming of how I would scape this tank. It's shabby, but is still a good practice tank, so I filled the bed with 1/2 inch layer of miracle gro/ organic soil, then a plastic grid, then another smothering of soil mix. I added in a couple of local floral specimens from a waterfall in Ferguson, N.C.Click image for larger version

Name:	1491893161246.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	297826

I sprinkled a teaspoon of seeds, and topped off with some lava rock from my local hardware store, then adding an additional tsp of seeds.

Day 1-3 I began to notice a white gooey film developing on top of the soil and water, but still I continue with the daily regimen.Click image for larger version

Name:	1491892731020.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	297824

I have done a somewhat decent job of balancing the moisture and fertz/o2, and after 4 days I can finally see growth (seemed to happen in a 12 hour span).Click image for larger version

Name:	1491892781206.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	297825

I'm wondering if the soil is no good, I'm ok with doing heavy maintenance in the next few months, but I'm not sure if I can house any fish once it's cycled because of this goop.

Learning as I go, any advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Soil is white and goopy, planted tank w Chinese seed and lava rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazook View Post
I found a 20g for $5 at an awesome saltwater store nearby. Previously I ordered some plant seeds from China on a phone app 2 months ago and finally got them after dreaming of how I would scape this tank. It's shabby, but is still a good practice tank, so I filled the bed with 1/2 inch layer of miracle gro/ organic soil, then a plastic grid, then another smothering of soil mix. I added in a couple of local floral specimens from a waterfall in Ferguson, N.C.Attachment 297826

I sprinkled a teaspoon of seeds, and topped off with some lava rock from my local hardware store, then adding an additional tsp of seeds.

Day 1-3 I began to notice a white gooey film developing on top of the soil and water, but still I continue with the daily regimen.Attachment 297824

I have done a somewhat decent job of balancing the moisture and fertz/o2, and after 4 days I can finally see growth (seemed to happen in a 12 hour span).Attachment 297825

I'm wondering if the soil is no good, I'm ok with doing heavy maintenance in the next few months, but I'm not sure if I can house any fish once it's cycled because of this goop.

Learning as I go, any advice would be appreciated.

You need the cap the soil with gravel or it will all turn very bad. Humidity needs to be maintained and it will need 10 hours of light per day with a light spray twice a day

Also I think u will find that type of lava rock will turn muddy/break apart and cause issues

Old 04-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thanks. I put some regular old black gravel in between the lava rocks but maybe not enough of it... I've heard differing opinions about this type of lava rock, but it's my filter media in pretty much all of my filters, and has done ok so far. If the soil does indeed go bad, I may individually remove the lava rocks covered with the seed and move them to an already established tank.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazook View Post
Ok thanks. I put some regular old black gravel in between the lava rocks but maybe not enough of it... I've heard differing opinions about this type of lava rock, but it's my filter media in pretty much all of my filters, and has done ok so far. If the soil does indeed go bad, I may individually remove the lava rocks covered with the seed and move them to an already established tank.

Yea u want atleast an inch layer of gravel over the top or I recon you'll have some serious algae/mould issues. Also pays to completely fill and drain it a few times just to get rid of some of the ammonia in the soil
Old 04-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna let these doodads sprout another day then start to fill it.

Tags
chi, oil, plant, planted, planted tank, rock, seed, tan, tank, white

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com