SOL? Lighting for 15 gallon column tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenelle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a newly planted 15 gallon column tank. I'm a complete newbie flying by the seat of my pants and I realized today that the light the tank came with is not bright enough. It was a full spectrum T5, 12 inch, 5 watts. So I started calling around and surfing, and the absolute best I could find is an Hagen Aqua Glo at 8 watts! It's now installed. It seems that 12 inch lights don't come with much wattage. Argh!

Over the past week I've added Flourish and Flourish tabs and a TINY bit of CO2 booster.

The substrate is Instant Aquarium by Caribsea.

Any other suggestions? Am I doomed to witness a slow death or do I stand a chance?

I hate the look of fake plants plus I think real plants add to a healthy tank so I hope there is some way to make it work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1409030290534.jpg
    1409030290534.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 89
I'm not a lighting expert but that's a nice looking tank!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You aren't doomed yet. Column tanks arent very easy to light, i.e. they are very tall compared to their length, but it is still doable.

You probably need to find a stronger light. I'm not sure what exactly because the tank is so tall and thin.

Hmmmm...how to get more light with 12 inch bulb that seems very limited in levels of wattage...?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom