Some help setting up a shrimp tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCLXVI

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone.

I'm setting up a 5.5 gallon shrimp tank. I seeded the tank with sand and water from my 40 gallon along with a filter cartridge that has been in the tank since it was first set up (i have three filters so don't worry about a cycle crash lol). I also have drift wood a sword and some java moss in the tank.
To start out I put my girlfriends Betta and two red rams horns snails to help with the cycle.
For a filter I'm using a home made sponge filter. I have a fluval intake sponge with a few inches of tubing with holes in it with a air-stone in that. It looks to be working fine as there are a few pieces of debris stuck to it.
I guess im just looking to find a way to cycle it as soon a possible. I tested amonia last night (its been set up for about 4 days) and it was at .25 ppm. Any tips or tricks would be awesome. I just don't want to wait 6 weeks to add some shrimp!:lol:

If you moved used filter media, you should be just about good to go. Do a large water change and add the shrimp. Just watch the levels and be ready to do PWCs as needed.

Thanks for your response. Looks like I need to order some shrimp! What would be the best looking shrimp that could be used for a feeder?

If you are looking at breeding feeders, go with RCS, they aren't as big as some other shrimp but they are by far the easiest to breed. Low grade crystal shrimp aren't bad either but can be harder to find.

Great. I do have to say that I'm not looking to just create a feeder tank. I love shrimp and the way they look. I just think it would also be great if they could "retire" to the big angelfish stomach in the sky :fish2:

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom