Some quick Questions....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBTennisNumberOne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well just to introduce myself, my names Tyler and i have been keeping tanks for about 3 years.
I have done the African Cichlids and had good success with that. Then i tried a nano reef tank(10 gallons) and have alot more success with this one that i thought i would...after battleing some bouts with algae my mushrooms survived and everything is good now
i figured the final HURDLE so to say would be a planted tank!
I want to do a nice 55 gallon low tech tank with some easy hardy species in the beginning, the only catch is that i would LOVE to have a Gold Severum. I have heard that these can be quite tough on plants...
I already have the tank and everything...i will be running a fluval 405 for filtration...eco complete substrate(i have heard this is a very good substrate)....and i am going to buy a 48 inch shop fixture from lowes and try to get about 100 watts out of it, we'll see about that though, i think i might have to buy 2.... as i think the standard 2 bulb T-12 bulb fixtures put out 80 watts max....

As for plants...i have heard of a couple of good beginner species
like: Java Fern, Hygrophilia, Vallisneria, Wisteria, Anubias, Watersprite, and Cryptocorynes

im really only leaing toward Java Fern, Anubias, Vallisneria, and Cryptocorynes

But im not sure if 1) these would work is a low tech tank....max 2-2.5wpg
and 2) if they would hold up against a Gold Severum....

so i am just wondering
1) if im off to a good start?...im new at the planted thing
2)are these good low tech beginner plants?
3)Will these hold up against a Gold Severum?

If anyone has any comments or suggestions about my tank....or any better species for beginners and maybe some that will hold up against Gold Severums....PLEASE LET ME KNOW...

Thanks for the help in advance
Tyler

I would recommend sticking to 2 WPG or less with your current plans. Once you push into the 2 - 2.5 WPG it's iffy as to whether or not you'll be able to avoid having to inject CO2. For the plants that you're looking at 1.5 - 2 WPG should be fine.

If you can get the severums when they are juvies you stand a better chance of them not plowing through your plants. This is by no means a guarantee as I had some geophagus that are also known for mowing down plants, got them as juvies and they dig up daily and often eat my plants now that they are adults.

I am learning about sevrums and plants the hard way... I have a large (4") gold sevrum, and he keeps pulling up my plants. It's particularly frustrating, since my tank is 30" deep, and I can't reach the substrate to re-plant them without doing a 40% PWC.

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to the quick responses...
which helped because i didn't know i should stay lower in the wpg...if i didn't have CO2....now i only have to by one fixture!
Thanks again,
Tyler

I really hope by getting a young severum, i won't have so much trouble with the uprooting plants etc....
sounds like a real pain to deal with, Catonicbug
do they just uproot them? or do the eat some as well?

Mine seems to pick at them, and maybe munch a little. He doesn't destroy them, but it's almost like a puppy, where once it's uprooted, he thinks he did a good thing!

Can't speak to the severum, but your other choices for plants, substrate, lighting (with Purr's recommendation) all look good to go. Kudos for doing your research first!

But I warn you, planted tanks are addictive.

FBTennis, I've heard that the tough leathery plants like Anubias and Java won't get eaten. Even if Java ferns get uprooted, it doesn't do them any harm b/c they can get everything they need from the water column. These may be good plants for you to try.

Back
Top Bottom