something growing on my plants... and everything else

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
there seems to be translucent/white spores? growing on all of my plants. they are no longer than a millimeter or 2 long. is this an alge? i have two oto cats who seem to eat stuff all the time, but none of this mysterious growth. i also have some of the same plants which were moved to a second tank and they don't have any of this stuff growing on them. does anyone know what it is? and is it harmful to any of the plants or fish that i have?

thanks!!

If they are small and clear with white spots they are snail eggs. Not the good kind either best thing to do is try and vaccum them out.

actually, it looks like whatever it is has a stem and then a small bulb at the top... but again, it is extremely small... i didn't know it was there until i was practically pressing my nose against the tank because i thought i found eggs from my oto cats... but no, i get this weird stuff all over my tank... :|

rubysoho said:
there seems to be translucent/white spores? growing on all of my plants. they are no longer than a millimeter or 2 long. is this an alge? i have two oto cats who seem to eat stuff all the time, but none of this mysterious growth. i also have some of the same plants which were moved to a second tank and they don't have any of this stuff growing on them. does anyone know what it is? and is it harmful to any of the plants or fish that i have?

thanks!!
first, good name. ...wolves was their best album, imo. a little more commercial, but great nonetheless.

can you give us a better idea of your tank setup and parameters? my first guess would have been eggs b/c that sounds like what my rasboras were laying before the danios ate it all up :roll: are they like little bubbles?

thanks, i love rancid a lot... anyway, my water tested:

ammonia 0
nitrATE 0
nitrITE 0
pH 7.5 (which is another thing i am trying to lower right now because two fish died last week... it is on the unhealthy fish board)

a pH of 7.5 won't kill your fish if you're floating them properly during introduction. most fish will adapt to a range of different pH levels, but breeding and the like are sometimes very pH dependent.... i still can't think of what the bubble might be, besides eggs from something. can you list what plants and fish you have, and what is your lighting like (wattage)?

well, i just got rid of my camboba(sp??) becuase apparently i didn't have enough lighting and they were doing very poorly. however, i still have som anachra, a banana plant, and some narrow leaf red ludwiga (sp??). i don't know my exact lighting, but the anachra and the ludwiga are growing pretty well (although someone is eating my ludwiga...). strangly enough, i just tested my pH and for some unexplainable reason my pH has decided to drop from 7.5-7.6 to 7.2... i am going to check it in the morning. go figure.

I once had some kind of white fungus which appeared on some bogwood. I don't remember it being translucent, however. It didn't spread much at all and I finally washed it off. At that time, I wasn't really taking great care of that tank regards the recommended 30 to 50% water changes each week. I'm not saying that is it, but we have a mystery here, so far. Maybe Rex can figure it out? BTW, consider getting your nitrates up to 5 to 10 ppm. Also, I believe I read that Otos won't breed in captivity.

i have been changing my tank more than once a week lately, and tried washing the stuff off the plants, but it didn't come off and i don't want to rub so hard as to damage the leaves. the stuff doesn't seem to be growing at all, infact i think there seems to be less of it now than before. i guess it is one of those tank mysteries.

Back
Top Bottom