Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Somethings wrong with plants? Help!

My plants are not looking well, they have a rusty brown colour on them. I have attached photo. HISTORY: They were planted 3 weeks ago, a week and half ago we upgraded from a single 15w bulb to 2 - 20 w bulbs.(Life-glo2 and a Flora-Glo) I also added fertilizer a week ago. 4 days ago I added 3 tsp of aquarium salt to the 20 gallon tank to treat "ich" and raised temp to 81. Anyone know what this could be?

2 Blue Tetras, 2 Angelfish, 2 clown loaches,
1 Tail-Light Tetra,
2 Otocinclus, 1 Glass cat fish

15 Gallon -1 Fancy Guppies - 15 Guppy Fry
nemokeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:47 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Looks to me like you have a nice, healthy growth of diatoms on your plants. I notice from your signature that you don't have any sort of algae-eating fish or inverts in your aquarium. You might consider picking up an Otocinclus or two. I've got a Farlowella in my 26 gallon that just LOVES diatoms and does a remarkable job of working over the leaves of my Aponogeton ulvaceus...eating pretty much any kind of algae it encounters. I don't know how effective a Farlowella would be on the type of plants in your picture because the leaves are small. Otocinclus might be a better choice. You might also consider some type of snail (Ramshorn snails work well).

Old 01-11-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Fruitbat
Please forgive me I am new to this hobby. Diantoms? Is that a type of algae? I know you mention algae eaters. Just bought two clown loaches today, they seem to be paying some attention to the plants and driftwood. You mention a Ramshorn snail, is this type different from the ones I hear people trying to get rid of?
1 Tail-Light Tetra,

Old 01-11-2004, 10:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to MantisX Send a message via AIM to MantisX Send a message via MSN to MantisX Send a message via Yahoo to MantisX
Its not settled dirt is it? I get that alot in my tank with the laterite in it. If its algae, maybe the lights are on too long since you upgraded? Im not sure, but doesnt some salts eat at plants? Too much fertilizer?
Old 01-12-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Diatoms are unicellular organisms that form beautiful (though microsopic) shells composed primarily of silicon. Their presence in an aquarium is usually (though not always) an indicator of excess silicates in the water or of low light levels.

Ramshorn snails are NOT the typical pond snails that are such pests in many people's aquariums but like the pond snail, the Ramshorn snails CAN become overpopulated in an aquarium. Their shells are coiled like the horn of a ram.

Your clown loaches, though magnificent fish, won't help much with diatoms.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:07 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Diatoms are kinds of brown algae, common in new tanks, they give way to green algae over time. (Mine did went away without any help from me).

Salt will cause some plants to turn brown, some are more sensitive then others. Although at 3 teaspoons in 20 gal, that is not much. When I treated for ich, I was up to 3 tablespoon per 10 gal. My plants sulked & dropped some leaves, but bounced right back when the salt level dropped.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

One thing I did not mention is that I left the lights on for 18 hours when I fisrt upgraded the lights, but have cut it back to 13 hours now.
1 Tail-Light Tetra,

Old 01-18-2004, 03:32 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Late in the game, I know, but... For ich, you need to turn up the heat higher than that... 84-5 minimum...

Tags
plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com