Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've heard Excel doesn't work well with the Anacharis you mentioned wanting- That's why I don't use it in the 45 gallon tank. Specifially, it can kill that and Vals, and I have both.

I think you have a low mantaince tank setup there- You should be at the point where CO2 helps, but you can live without it. Ferts, I think you'll need, but they really take up very little time.

I'm in a similiar boat (Again). I have a eight year old and a one year old, and a wife who loves the tanks. And I cut budget corners, because as a single income family, money can be tight.

I went with Greg Watson dry ferts myself, I guess at CSM+B and potassium, and am currently adding Nitrates based on testing- I buy little fish, but base my stocking level off their full-grown size, so I bottom out on Nitrates on my low light tank.

Before that, I used Kent products. A little more expensive, it seems, but it worked- Destroyed my serious algae, and the plants shot up. I bought the 3 pack starter kit, but the Black Water Expert stuff didn't impress me. If I did it again, I'd buy big bottles of the other two bottles in that kit- Pro-Grow and Freshwater something, does Potassium, Nitrate, Iron, etc.

Greg Watson is probably a bit more expensive up front- I spent like 20-25 bucks on stuff from him- But I went through the Kent products fast. The dry ferts seem like they'll last a year, Kent wasn't lasting a month- Based on the low end of the manufactors suggested dosing.

Maybe someone can tell me if I'm wrong, but I seriously just plan to hook up a coke bottle, some airline, a peice of Terra Cotta, and maybe an airstone for CO2. I plan on changing the yeast when the flow slows down, and doing it about once every 2 weeks, and taking maybe 10-15 miniutes to do it? If I underdose CO2, the plants and algae will let me know, and seeing how hard the serious people work at trying to get CO2 above 30ppm, I doubt I'll overdose and kill fish.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I'm also a fan of Rummy Nose Tetras, lol. Love the little guys, they school so well.

As for the Anacharis, it will melt if you decide to dose with Excel. Also, jungle vals will discintegrate even quicker with it too. But Corkscrew vals will do great with Excel, I use it on my 29G and the Corkscrew vals are flourishing. It is a medium height plant, and looks great in front of some tall, large leafed plants. Also works great around driftwood/bogwood. Can do lots with it. But remember one thing about them, they spread rather quickly by runners if the conditions are good. Mine are about 8 inches in total height.

As for overdosing CO2 and killing fish, will never happen, lol. I'm using a pressurized system, with a ph controller and have my max set to 84ppm CO2. Fish are doing great. And so are the plants. And I'm not just doing it for the plants either. I'm pushing my ph down to 6.3 for my GBR breeding. And it's been wonderful, they have been laying eggs every 2-3 weeks, 4 at the very most, just like clock-work, lol. Also, it's keeping the algae to a minumum as well. I have nearly no algae in the tank now, since I've got my dosing under control as well. But still struggling with algae on my 29G until I get my CO2 set up in it as well. Will do the same, push the CO2 way down for Bolivian breeding. Currently they have been laying eggs every 3-5 weeks. So if someone tells you too high of CO2 is bad for your fish, they are wrong, lol. CO2 doesn't replace O2. They are in the tank side-by-side.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

With 30 WPG over a 10 gallon you are probably looking at a solid medium light which could go either way as far as maintenance. If you want a lower maintenance tank, you may want to consider cutting back the lighting a bit. I would think that a medium low light tank, about 20 WPG on a 10 gallon, would be more along the lines of what you are looking for.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

10 gallon planted on 6/23/06:

Foreground:
1 Anubias coffeefolia
8 dwarf sag

Middle:
4 java ferns
1 red wendtii

Background:
4 anachris

I also have 1 congenis and 1 ceylon that will be ready to pick up on Monday.
Any comments, either positive or negative, will be appreciated. This is my first attempt at a planted tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_new_hpim1221_198.jpg (29.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg new_new_hpim1220_141.jpg (31.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg new_new_hpim1219_121.jpg (25.4 KB, 292 views)
Old 06-25-2006, 02:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Looking very good. As for the anacharis, you can cut it down to any size and replant the tops to add more plants. Also, if you cut off the long portion just above where more shoots are coming out of the sides, they will form more shoots and grow, and the top can be replanted and will grow nicely. and when cutting it off, just cut the long runner that goes to the surface and leave the side shoots alone to grow, don't cut them off til they reach the length you want them.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as though the Anubias is planted in the substrate? I've been given advice not to do that, and instead add it to driftwood, similar to the java fern. I've had my Anubias for almost 72 hours now, so I'm definately no expert.

At a guess, I'd assume you'd be fine if the rhizome is exposed- I can't tell from the picture
Old 06-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, the anubias coffeefolia is planted in the substrate but only the roots. I check on PlantGeeks.com and it said if you plant in substrate just make sure the rhizome is above the surface of the substrate.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update:

I would like to first start off by saying this is my first attempt at a planted tank. I have been keeping a 20 gallon FW community tank for over a year. After weeks of research and craming my brain with information, I decided it was time to make the jump. This is how I planted my 10 gallon:

Foreground:
1 Anubias coffeefolia
8 dwarf sag

Middle:
4 java ferns
1 red wendtii

Background:
4 anachris

I also have 1 congenis and 1 ceylon that will be ready to pick up on Friday and I ordered some more fast growers (anachris) from aquabid.com. My question is based on my lighting, (2) 15 watt compact flourescent screw-in bulbs, for a 10 gallon tank, will I need to use any chemical ferts or Do2/excel? I was trying for a low light-low maintence tank to start. Would it be better to use (2) 10 watt compact flourescent bulbs? Any help will be greatly appreciate. I added 6 gold tetras and Bio-Spira along with the plants.

After 4 days, my water parameters were as follows:

Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=5

I believe everything is going well, although I feel that my brain is about to explode!! I have gather lots of information from other forums and have a wealth of information. I feel I am second guessing my own thoughts. I guess my main concern is the lighting issue and ferts. Do I need to add liquid ferts and/or flourish excel or should I wait until the tank matures? Now that the tank is set up and cycled, I feel a little lost when it comes to the next steps.........

Tags
plant, planted, planted tank, spec, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com