Splitting Anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a bunch of anubias last year and many of them had grown twice their size or doubled the leaves count.

I was wondering how I could be able to cut them or separate them so perhaps I can sell them and not have it take over my tank.

I believe they are anubias nana. I had taken some pictures of them.

If anyone has a video guide, that would be ideal.

Attachments

• image-3509769426.jpg
    image-3509769426.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image-578887258.jpg
    image-578887258.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 72
I just split mine a few weeks ago. All i did was take a new - sharp - razor and sliced the rhizome halfway between 2 leaves. Do as clean as cut as you can. The portion I cut off and moved is actually sending up 2 flower buds now....never did on the original portion.

I just split mine a few weeks ago. All i did was take a new - sharp - razor and sliced the rhizome halfway between 2 leaves. Do as clean as cut as you can. The portion I cut off and moved is actually sending up 2 flower buds now....never did on the original portion.

Exactly like the post above, Make sure that when you cut it both half's are going to have root's.

Thanks guys! How often should I do this? Is there such thing as too much cutting? Or is there a certain "mature size" in which it is ok to cut?

I do not have razors at home, would it be ok to use a sharp kitchen knife?

Yea, using the kitchen knife would be fine. As far as to much cutting, yes it is possible. Think about it like this, you only cut your hair when it get's to long. Once it get's to big for your liking just cut it again.

Yea, using the kitchen knife would be fine. As far as to much cutting, yes it is possible. Think about it like this, you only cut your hair when it get's to long. Once it get's to big for your liking just cut it again.

Cool! Thanks again. I'm going to cut it next weekend since I am on campus during the week. I'll take pictures of the results and have you guys check if I did it properly :)

Back
Top Bottom