Splitting Red Temple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
21227-albums414-picture4454.jpg

As you can see from this tankshot from a week ago, my Red Temple is hitting the top of the tank. What is the correct procedure for cutting this plant and replanting?

My guess is that you can just cut it at the break points at the base of the leaves, which is about every inch, and then sink it in the gravel with a piece of lead holding it in place and let it grow roots, but I'd just be assuming. I don't want to kill it off!

BTW it grows like crazy with the right light, Flourish K / Comp / Excel / Iron.

most people cut in half but i wouldnt use lead weights they can be harmful to the plants.

My question was more on the lines of how you cut it, can you just cut with a sharp scissors just below one of the sections? Then I could bury that part into the gravel so the leaves would hold it in place (with the leaves themselves above the gravel) instead of using lead weights. They seem to be doing just fine with the lead weights on them now, they're pretty loose. I'll probably take them off though.

sorry i cant answer the question, but i like the tank! maybe you could try spreading out that grassy stuff on the left? make it more of the background? just a suggestion

Just cut the stem with a sharp knife and plant the top, where you cut it the bottom part will most likely branch into 2. Plant the top part in the gravel so it will take root and grow.

I cut more than half way down when they are at the top like yours, it is just what I prefer to do.

if your alternathera reneikii is growing well in your tank, it will be fine no matter how you trim it. i find that the plant is pretty tough and grows quickly. i usually just pinch off the top of the plant and stuff it in the substrate, not carefully or with weghts.

Back
Top Bottom