Spraybar or powerhead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bman

Aquarium Advice Freak
My loving wife got me a Rena XP1 for my tank this Christmas (She's the best, you know!) I getting ready to set it up, the directions do not say what the difference is in using the powerhead over the spraybar. What is better for my set up?

I have a 20 gallon long tank, heavily planted, and I will be making an inline CO2 reactor to add my DIY hose to.

Goodbye HOB!

Spraybar is better for planted tanks, as it will spread out the flow more evenly. You can do it horizontally across the top, or vertically in the corner like I do, and have it directed towards the front of the tank.

I train the spraybar to the wall to some degree-it deflects the current and stirs up the gunk on the bottom, sending it to the filter. I agree that you get better coverage and less torrential current this way.

i followed amano's way that is with a nozzle power head and not the spraybar, but now i use spraybar lol. I have it horizontal wide facing a bit up towards the surface viewing the other side of my 49'' tank. now you gave me the idea of vertically could work nice too. SO WHICH ONE IS? vertically or horizontally? mor on the surface or more bottom and middle? and have a powerhead to put maybe on the surface?

I have my intake to xp3 as u see on the left and more left on the 1'' or so under surface is the outtake. should I run my outtake vertically in front of my intake more towards the middle of my tank? facing the totally other side left side of tank? pointing along the glass or a bit towards the middle?

Vertical is going from Top to Bottom in the corner of the tank, and have the spraybar pointed to the front of the tank.

so yours is heading the front and from that scattering around. no surface movement then? what you think i should do for best results of and happier fish?

It gives better circulation along the front of the tank. And if you want surface aggitation, then have it horizontally along the top of the tank, and have it pointed slightly up, to give the top a little surface roll from the output. As for the fish, as long as you are getting good O2 levels and the water parameters are good, then you will have no problems.

Back
Top Bottom