Star Grass was stripped bare by my Bala Sharks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had star grass in my 55 gallon tank for about a year now, but it never really did that well. Recently it decided to take off and was growing a couple 4 inches a week. Then one day i came home from work and 1 of my 2 groups of star grass was stripped bare. I then noticed it was my bala sharks were the culprits as they were eating on the other plant.

I've had these same sharks the entire time i have had any aquarium and they all have been planted. This is the first time they have eaten any plants. is this common, plant eating? or were they just hungry?

I've heard of balas that were plant destroyers, but my experience has been that balas only really go after softer-leaved or fine-leaved plants. Adding more vegetable matter to their diet would prob help keep them from eating the plants. Look for veggie flakes or even spirolina-enhanced frozen brine shrimp.

normally i would have suspected the Silver Dollars. Funny thing is that they have never eaten a plant, or at least that i could tell.

I have lots of veggie type foods, but maybe ill add some zuchinni to my veggie clip when i get home and hope it gives time for my star grass to recover.

Back
Top Bottom