Stargrass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foster53

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have some pics of Stargrass in their tank? I purchased some plants that are suppose to be stargrass, but they are too tall I believe:confused:

I kept some before and it can grow tall. It needs to be trimmed down pretty regularly if you want it shorter. Plus If you keep it clipped short it will encourage side branching.

*EDIT: If you post a picture that would help.

Well maybe I did get the right plant then. It just didn't look right, like the plant I saw in the stores planted tank. It was very short, and looked like stars growing just above the substrate. The guy that helped me at the store didn't seem real sure of himself. I just planted it last night, should I wait for it to settle in, or trim it low now.? It doesn't have any leaves low on the stems.

If there are no leaves lower on the stems, pull them out, clip the bare stems off, remove al few of the bottom leaves, then replant. Also be sure to plant each stem individually so the leaves are almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around them. This allows for light and water circulation to get to the lower leaves which helps keep lower leaves from falling off and lower stems from rotting. And it should look like little stars growing.

Oh if the stems are short to begin with but especially after the bare stems are trimmed you might want to float them for awhile to let some roots develop before planting.

If there are no leaves lower on the stems, pull them out, clip the bare stems off, remove al few of the bottom leaves, then replant. Also be sure to plant each stem individually so the leaves are almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around them. This allows for light and water circulation to get to the lower leaves which helps keep lower leaves from falling off and lower stems from rotting. And it should look like little stars growing.

Oh if the stems are short to begin with but especially after the bare stems are trimmed you might want to float them for awhile to let some roots develop before planting.
Thank you for the info. I wish I would have asked before I planted all of the stems the first time.LOL Guess I just learned something else. The very tops of the plants look like what I saw in the dealers planted tank. I will also be adding another light to bump up tha WPG. will 8000K T-8 bulbs be ok for the extra light? I have T-5 twin tube 48" 6700K on there now as the primary light.

Extra light is fine but watch if you begin to have algae issues as you might have to adjust your photoperiod.

I planned to keep it at 6 hrs per day like it is now. I will be watching carefully for an increase in algae. It is pretty well under control at the moment, since I increased the glute dosage a little. My dry ferts should be here this week. I am picking up a gram scale tomorrow. The Flourish Comp., and Leafzone are doing ok, but not what I want for plant growth. I did move a Bronze Crypt today to a different tank, and it had a massive root system on it, and had produced a new small plant, and rhizome. I was thrilled.LOL

Back
Top Bottom