Started a planted (really small)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anachrotech

Aquarium Advice Regular
... tank. Over the years I've added plants to my tank with the usual results of death and decay (of the plants) due to insufficient light, no nutrients, and gravel substrate. However, I really liked the look. Thanks to this forum, I decided to try again and started really, really small. Nuvo Pico 4 betta tank with Eco-Complete with some black sand over. The betta likes it better also. Though my "aquascaping" needs work, I think I may convert my 36g over depending on the health of my EBJD who I believe has a internal tumor. Dipping my toe into dark waters here. :)
img_2919448_0_38817a75996963fedddc95dbbd87c89c.jpg

Welcome!! Looks like a good start!! Sorry as this is off topic but you said you're jd may have a tumor? How old? How big??

Welcome!! Looks like a good start!! Sorry as this is off topic but you said you're jd may have a tumor? How old? How big??

He's about 4 1/2 years old and 6 1/2" - 7" in length. He getting thin even though I finally got him to eat somewhat. The tumor is on his left side and was the size of a dime last year. Now it's almost a half dollar is size. He's currently the only fish in the 36g (I know, too small) I am monitoring the water all the time and at a minimum change 50% weekly - sometimes more.

... tank. Over the years I've added plants to my tank with the usual results of death and decay (of the plants) due to insufficient light, no nutrients, and gravel substrate. However, I really liked the look. Thanks to this forum, I decided to try again and started really, really small. Nuvo Pico 4 betta tank with Eco-Complete with some black sand over. The betta likes it better also. Though my "aquascaping" needs work, I think I may convert my 36g over depending on the health of my EBJD who I believe has a internal tumor. Dipping my toe into dark waters here. :)
back on topic... What are you wanting to grow in the betta tank?

What I have in the Pico 4 (can't remember the names as the tank had stickers with names all over it) is where I've started. I don't think I'll change this one up unless these plants don't do very well. For the 36 though, I'm just in the somewhat planning stage. I made the mistake of looking at some gorgeous aquascapes and want to go that route. I know I'll have to up the lighting from the current +. I do have a duo T5HO 24" that may be utilized with the appropriate bulbs. The planted tank is much more satisfying for me that plunking in décor. Nothing against it, I just get tired of the décor rather quickly. I really do prefer a more natural look that I can't get with plastic and fake castles. Again, it depends on Mr. Dempsey and what occurs down the road. I have my eye on a 125g later which may be a cichlid tank (no plants) or a really nice planted depending on my abilities, or lack thereof.

So you have a t5 and a current sat?!? You could do a sweet planted tank if you're willing to commit to a daily fert dosing regiment..

So you have a t5 and a current sat?!? You could do a sweet planted tank if you're willing to commit to a daily fert dosing regiment..

+1, if you put both lights on, they will work wonders. You will be able to grow almost any plants. Though you'd need either a co2 system or dose a lot of glut. Algae will be a really major problem :lol:

+1, if you put both lights on, they will work wonders. You will be able to grow almost any plants. Though you'd need either a co2 system or dose a lot of glut. Algae will be a really major problem :lol:

I think I'll start low tech :). Either the t5ho or the led to start. I've had quite my fill of algae problems.:oops:

Back
Top Bottom