Starting 40 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really want to start a bigger tank thaat i could actually put some nice plants in. Im relatively new to plants, but not to aquariums. I'm going to get a 40 gallon long aquarium (anyone have one? I've never heard of anyone having a 40 Long), the dimensions are 48" by 12" by 16". I really like the look of black sand and plants would stick out and look pretty cool. I'm not sure about the lighting. this is the fixture I was planning on getting:http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22134 but I'm just not sure what kind of plants these lights would support. I need design ideas also, all I know so far is I want a big piece of driftwood in the center. Thanks guys!

Sounds like a decent set of lights, one fixture, with two bulbs at 108w in your 40 gal would put you at a little better than 2 1/2 watt/gal. Should be good for low and medium light plants. It also sounds like you could later get another and use them together for plants that need high lighting if you ever decided to go for it. I recommend a plant guide. Petco has a little book called 101 best plants for your aquarium that gives a good starting point. It's about $18 bucks, but considering how many plants you could put in there is a worthwhile investment if you think you could loose a bunch of plants if done incorrectly.

2x54w would be high light on that tank. I wouldn't try more than one T5HO bulb without pressurized co2 and a steady fert dosing regimine. IF you chose that fixture, a pressurized co2 setup, and EI, PPS Pro, or PMDD dosing, you could grow any plant you want. If you do one T5HO, you'll still be able to keep a lot of plants, all but the more higher light demanding plants.

Anyone know of any good community fish I could add to the tank, I like cories, but i don't know which kind.

Well... I love orange laser cories. For schoolers up top I like rummy nose tetras and neons.

I also heard about co2, is a co2 system necessary? How does it work?

Hubert90 said:
Depends on what plants u want. Low and medium light plants aint necessary. It works by dissolving co2 into the water.

Ohh, okay! Thanks guys!

CO2 need depends on light intensity, once the lighting gets in to that higher range you need to provide the plants with a carbon source and food or the algae will take over as it is better at growing with limited resources.

Has anyone ever seen a empty 40 gallon long aquarium? The dimensions are 48"x13"x16" ive never heard of anyone having one.

I really think a 40 breeder would be a better choice... it has a much better footprint, which makes planting easier. Plus, It's got more surface area than the long tank.

George9 said:
Has anyone ever seen a empty 40 gallon long aquarium? The dimensions are 48"x13"x16" ive never heard of anyone having one.

I have a 40 long for my bichirs. Some good community fish for there is a school of rummys. Some juhlii corys are great for the bottom too.

mfdrookie516 said:
I really think a 40 breeder would be a better choice... it has a much better footprint, which makes planting easier. Plus, It's got more surface area than the long tank.

I'd have to disagree with you there. With a 40 breeder (which is taller) you have to stress what stratum a fish swims in iin order to maximize how many fish you can keep. Plus anything that works on a 55 will work with a 40 long. IME, aquariums that are longer than taller are generally better. Gives more room to swim.

mfdrookie516 said:
2x54w would be high light on that tank. I wouldn't try more than one T5HO bulb without pressurized co2 and a steady fert dosing regimine. IF you chose that fixture, a pressurized co2 setup, and EI, PPS Pro, or PMDD dosing, you could grow any plant you want. If you do one T5HO, you'll still be able to keep a lot of plants, all but the more higher light demanding plants.

What makes a bulb a t5 ho bulb? What's the difference between other aquarium lights?

Predfan27 said:
I'd have to disagree with you there. With a 40 breeder (which is taller) you have to stress what stratum a fish swims in iin order to maximize how many fish you can keep. Plus anything that works on a 55 will work with a 40 long. IME, aquariums that are longer than taller are generally better. Gives more room to swim.

That's what I was thinking too , plus it fits great where I'm going to put it in my room.

I am not too much help with the plant aspects of aquarium keeping. I can tell you that a few big pieces of driftwood with some plants in the 40 long is a wicked sexy tank though! Lemme know if you want to bounce any ideas of fish stocking though.

Predfan27 said:
I am not too much help with the plant aspects of aquarium keeping. I can tell you that a few big pieces of driftwood with some plants in the 40 long is a wicked sexy tank though! Lemme know if you want to bounce any ideas of fish stocking though.

Lol! Driftwood is awesome

Predfan27 said:

Do you have Any ideas of fish I could add? I know I want a red tail shark and some cories, in a few months I might want a gbr. I currently have in my 10 g that I'm upgrading a dwarf gourami and 4 tiger barbs( not the best mix, but they get along) and a molly

Back
Top Bottom