Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I really want to start a bigger tank thaat i could actually put some nice plants in. Im relatively new to plants, but not to aquariums. I'm going to get a 40 gallon long aquarium (anyone have one? I've never heard of anyone having a 40 Long), the dimensions are 48" by 12" by 16". I really like the look of black sand and plants would stick out and look pretty cool. I'm not sure about the lighting. this is the fixture I was planning on getting:http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=22134 but I'm just not sure what kind of plants these lights would support. I need design ideas also, all I know so far is I want a big piece of driftwood in the center. Thanks guys!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds like a decent set of lights, one fixture, with two bulbs at 108w in your 40 gal would put you at a little better than 2 1/2 watt/gal. Should be good for low and medium light plants. It also sounds like you could later get another and use them together for plants that need high lighting if you ever decided to go for it. I recommend a plant guide. Petco has a little book called 101 best plants for your aquarium that gives a good starting point. It's about $18 bucks, but considering how many plants you could put in there is a worthwhile investment if you think you could loose a bunch of plants if done incorrectly.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

2x54w would be high light on that tank. I wouldn't try more than one T5HO bulb without pressurized co2 and a steady fert dosing regimine. IF you chose that fixture, a pressurized co2 setup, and EI, PPS Pro, or PMDD dosing, you could grow any plant you want. If you do one T5HO, you'll still be able to keep a lot of plants, all but the more higher light demanding plants.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Anyone know of any good community fish I could add to the tank, I like cories, but i don't know which kind.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #5

Well... I love orange laser cories. For schoolers up top I like rummy nose tetras and neons.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also heard about co2, is a co2 system necessary? How does it work?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by George9
I also heard about co2, is a co2 system necessary? How does it work?
Depends on what plants u want. Low and medium light plants aint necessary. It works by dissolving co2 into the water.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert90

Depends on what plants u want. Low and medium light plants aint necessary. It works by dissolving co2 into the water.
Ohh, okay! Thanks guys!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
CO2 need depends on light intensity, once the lighting gets in to that higher range you need to provide the plants with a carbon source and food or the algae will take over as it is better at growing with limited resources.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Has anyone ever seen a empty 40 gallon long aquarium? The dimensions are 48"x13"x16" ive never heard of anyone having one.

Tags
40 gallon, plant, planted, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com